Ajika @ Trader Joe's

Paul

RecipeSwap.org host
Staff member
Most recent trip to TJs was happy to see the Herbes de Provence again after not seeing them for well over a year. Also Picked this up which is new for me:

To call ajika a staple of Georgian-Abkhazian cuisine is a severe understatement: in the western regions of the Republic of Georgia, it’s practically ubiquitous. There, it’s traditionally prepared in paste form, from freshly ground chili peppers, garlic, various savory spices, and walnuts, and is served on everything from beef to bread, chicken to fish, or even just liberally spread on cheese. Our buyers had a chance to try this spectacularly savory seasoning in its dried spice form at an open air market in Georgia, and knew at once that it deserved a spot on our shelves in the form of Trader Joe’s Ajika Georgian Seasoning Blend.Every dash of Ajika awakens the flavors of whatever dish it's added to with a pleasant hit of heat, a savory touch of garlic, and an alluring mix of aromatic seasonings like coriander, fenugreek, and marigold petals. Just like in Georgia, we recommend putting it on pretty much anything: grilled meats, roasted potatoes, soups, eggs, anything that can do with a bit more savory essence and spice will be made even more delicious.

https://www.traderjoes.com/home/products/pdp/068324

I was hoping for some suggestions or past experiences. I really do like the way it smells.

This is a list of ingredients in the seasoning from Saveur so it looks like it would be a great rub for some ribs or pork tenderloin before grilling.

1 tbsp. ground coriander1 tbsp. Aleppo pepper1 tbsp. plus 1½ tsp. fine sea salt1 1⁄2 tsp. ground dried marigold petals (optional)1 1⁄2 tsp. ground fenugreek (preferably Georgian blue fenugreek)1⁄2 tsp. smoked Spanish paprika (pimentón)6 medium garlic cloves, peeled

pork sounds right but I am going to start with a pot roast because my wife brought home a big one and we have a bunch of carrots and potatoes that need to get used. Besides I'm currently in love with Heim BBQ rub (Dallas, TX) I got the two rubs they sell and they are famous for their "burnt ends" but I actually found their brisket rub on pork chops is amazing... My daughter brought home their brisket rub from a Dallas biz trip where she practically cried with joy describing her experience eating burnt ends at one of their joints. I went through the whole jar of rub pretty quick because it was so good on different things. Then I sweated it out for a few months when it was out of stock on their website!

Please report out!

Not a rub but a sauce I discovered recently that I put on vegetables/tofu etc. is Melinda's Green Sauce "a spicy condiment of tomatillos, jalapenos, spinach, cilantro and garlic.

OK but I was a little disappointed. I think part of it is that I have been using minimal salt in everything lately because of issues. Overall the pot roast was good but actually the vegetables were the better part. Frankly my favorite way to season beef is black pepper. I have had best results with just black pepper and nothing else. I will definitely try the Ajika on pork and I think that it will be better suited. That said, yesterday I made some barley in the instant pot then added some browned ground beef to the leftover juices from the pot roast that I had thickened with some corn starch, and mixed with the barley. This was pretty awesome Sunday lunch/dinner.

At least the way I make a pot roast is as a braise so I think the ajika might get lost in the liquid. I'd use it as a rub on chicken or pork ribs or chops or something like that where you will get the flavor. Or as a finishing "salt" on veggies or other grilled meats. Might be good as a seasoning on roast veggies put on prior to roasting.

Back