Beef, Veal shanks

karennoca

I was organizing my freezer and came across 2 beef shanks, and 2 veal shanks. Can I cook them together in the oven? It would be the typical, wine, carrots, garlic, stock, canned tomatoes. How should I adjust the recipe? Put veal shanks in perhaps an hour after the beef shanks cook? Thanks

What a unique question. If I had veal anything, I would always do it alone. Other than osso bucco, I prepare veal in a different manner, preferring more garlic, lemon zest, gremolata, white wine, porcini, or those sorts of ingredients. Beef, is so much less fine in flavour. Not answering your question but I'll be interested in the responses.

I lightly browned the shanks, added the rest of the ingredients, and then let them sit and marinate most of the day. Cooked low and slow. They finished at about the same time, were moist and delicious. I made Mark Bittman's Tomato Paella, had a sheet pan of baby summer squashes, all colors of bell pepper, garlic, and lemon wedges. A great meal.https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/9406-osso-buco-with-lemon-and-sage

Back