Brining back a T&T--Tomato Gratin

monj

Oh...I remember this one. It truly is a simple but tasty winner. Heed monj's note to follow CI's instructions correctly. It DOES make a HUGE difference between a crunchy condensed tomato-y cheesy dish versus a mushy bread soaked mess. Trust me...I was on the "I don't need no stinkin' instructions" end when an acquaintance took over the production. See "mushy bread soaked mess" comment above.
And then she had the nerve to say: "I don't get what all the fuss is about...this is just wet bread."

Sadly, I haven't had a good tomato YET this year.

Will be making this tonight... so good! Recipe thread is fun too...

So glad you reminded me of this. I have tomatoes waiting in a bowl for me to tell them they are ripe. I was going to make a tarte, which I love, but I forgot all about this. And BTW, any time I cook with tomatoes as the prime ingredient, I always add a bit of sugar, regardless of the instructions. It has magical effects.

Oh...I remember this one. It truly is a simple but tasty winner. Heed monj's note to follow CI's instructions correctly. It DOES make a HUGE difference between a crunchy condensed tomato-y cheesy dish versus a mushy bread soaked mess. Trust me...I was on the "I don't need no stinkin' instructions" end when an acquaintance took over the production. See "mushy bread soaked mess" comment above.
And then she had the nerve to say: "I don't get what all the fuss is about...this is just wet bread."

Sadly, I haven't had a good tomato YET this year.
That was an epic post Marilyn! Sorry to hear about your local tomatoes. You may have to carve out a little patch for next year and grow your own!

Boo about your tomatoes! Hopefully, some good ones should be showing up around now at the farmer’s market. My favorites here are early girls and they’ve been kinda late due to our weird, rather mild for us, summer. Lots of farmers here dry farm those in the mts above us (and your friend in Los Gatos, about 5-10 mins from me). After establishing, they only get water from the fog that comes in off the ocean and it really intensifies their flavor.

I stopped at Sewickley's farmers market yesterday for tomatoes after reading this post again. There were several vendors to choose from but none looked...I don't know...like they had been picked in August's hot, muggy weather and were just bursting with flavor. I finally went with the vendor with the most options (Early Girls, Beefsteak, "heritage"(?), plum and cherry. Picked the darkest red from the heritage tomatoes out of a selection of pale tomatoes. It was still only a deep pink.
It was 3.5" in diameter and cost $3. For one tomato.
And had almost no taste.

I almost wished I hadn't bothered and still had my imagined vision of an August tomato.

(PS: Another vendor was selling "European" food, which in western PA is code for pierogies, haluski, kielbasa, stuffed cabbage, etc. The pierogies were selling for 6/$7 or 12/$10. Imagine my shock as I remembered coming home from grade school when my dad had brought my Ukrainian grandmother over for a visit and she had been making pierogies. Every single surface in the kitchen was layered with pierogies, including the ironing board. Had we monetized that tiny toothless woman we could have become the Elon Musk's of western PA.)

(PPS: Los Gatos artist friend is getting ready for a food vendor show at Javitz Center in NYC, so she hasn't been at the market. She usually sends photos of her bounty that look like art itself.)

Marilyn, I think we all could walk you through planting good tomatoes next year. Not only have I grown them since I was a kid, I’ve taken a day long class from a master biodynamic farmer on tomatoes who supplies them to a 3 Michelin star restaurant. My only concern is muggy weather, but we get humidity from fog, so might even out. There is no reason to have to eat bad tomatoes given you aren’t on Antarctica.

You can do it!

I stopped at Sewickley's farmers market yesterday for tomatoes after reading this post again. There were several vendors to choose from but none looked...I don't know...like they had been picked in August's hot, muggy weather and were just bursting with flavor. I finally went with the vendor with the most options (Early Girls, Beefsteak, "heritage"(?), plum and cherry. Picked the darkest red from the heritage tomatoes out of a selection of pale tomatoes. It was still only a deep pink.
It was 3.5" in diameter and cost $3. For one tomato.
And had almost no taste.

I almost wished I hadn't bothered and still had my imagined vision of an August tomato.

(PS: Another vendor was selling "European" food, which in western PA is code for pierogies, haluski, kielbasa, stuffed cabbage, etc. The pierogies were selling for 6/$7 or 12/$10. Imagine my shock as I remembered coming home from grade school when my dad had brought my Ukrainian grandmother over for a visit and she had been making pierogies. Every single surface in the kitchen was layered with pierogies, including the ironing board. Had we monetized that tiny toothless woman we could have become the Elon Musk's of western PA.)

(PPS: Los Gatos artist friend is getting ready for a food vendor show at Javitz Center in NYC, so she hasn't been at the market. She usually sends photos of her bounty that look like art itself.)
Do you ever go to the big regional market in Asheville. I love the ubiquitous Cherokee purples. The heirlooms here are going for about $2/lb. although some charge more. Truth be told, just the big round red tomatoes (I think they are red globe) are absolutely delicious this year. I have many a delicious sandwich and would use them for this gratin recipe or a tomato pie. They ARE "summer tomatoes" and the heat at night makes all the difference.

Do you ever go to the big regional market in Asheville. I love the ubiquitous Cherokee purples. The heirlooms here are going for about $2/lb. although some charge more. Truth be told, just the big round red tomatoes (I think they are red globe) are absolutely delicious this year. I have many a delicious sandwich and would use them for this gratin recipe or a tomato pie. They ARE "summer tomatoes" and the heat at night makes all the difference.
The local markets carry both the Cherokee purples and black, plus Golith's from South Carolina that were really good. Only problem was they cost $3.50 each so I didn't get them that often. The rhubarb and lettuce I bought at the North Asheville farmers market were mediocre the last time I went and gas is too high now for mediocrity.

I just don't know if I'm getting super picky or food just doesn't taste as good. (Note: no COVID in my medical history to blame it on)

That market will have heirlooms also I'm sure. As I may have said, we are paying about $1.99-$2.50 for heirlooms. Can't speak to the rhubarb, etc. because I've had mediocre stuff from the best organic farm too. My daughter still has some taste loss from Covid--really annoying and sad.
I choose my vendors and am fortunate to have one that has wonderful tomatoes and local peaches.
This summer as I did pre-covid, I buy peaches and tomatoes from him and sell them in the retirement community where I live.
to set the price which is usually $1 each for tomato and peach (or 2/$1 when the peaches are smaller) I count the pieces that day to try to break even but any "profit" goes to the community fund here. I am reimbursed for the produce and the people are billed on their monthly statement. Everyone REALLy appreciates it (folks can't drive and even if they do, they don't get farmers' market produce). I usually "sell out" in an hour selling to around 50-60 people/day--2 boxes of tomatoes and 2 baskets of peaches.. Also get to meet folks I wouldn't otherwise. Fun.
And as you bring up the cost of gas--that has surely made the farmers' produce more expensive--for them and us. Finally abating a little thank heavens.

Made this again last night and it just wasn't like my first experience. The flavour seemed lacking and I didn't have the crunch on the top that I had found so enjoyable. So.....I'll have to to try again.

Marilyn, I’m not kidding. We are going to get you growing your own tomatoes next year (and basil, because the basil scent throws off the smell of the moths that turn into the dreaded tomato horn worms, so you want to grow them as companions). So be thinking where you want to put them. In the ground is much easier than containers, they are less needy in the ground). Full sun Aka 6 hours. If you have hot western sun exposure after that amount shade is ok. Tomatoes like sun, but many think they love heat, yeah not so much. So think where you can put them. We’re gonna do this. Crappy tomatoes can be overcome! ✊

Sorry to hear that, it takes work and for it not to turn out is a bummer. Some hints that may help--I dry the bread out earlier in the day before I make the croutons (should be a good crusty loaf) Be sure to reduce the tomato cooking liquid by more than you think you need to--I also boost the tomatoes with garlic powder and onion powder. I use pecorino romano cheese and 3 large cloves of garlic.

Marilyn, I think we all could walk you through planting good tomatoes next year. Not only have I grown them since I was a kid, I’ve taken a day long class from a master biodynamic farmer on tomatoes who supplies them to a 3 Michelin star restaurant. My only concern is muggy weather, but we get humidity from fog, so might even out. There is no reason to have to eat bad tomatoes given you aren’t on Antarctica.

You can do it!
My local farmer told me years ago, that tomatoes like 90 degrees during the day and 70's at night is perfect weather for them. I second your sentiment Maria. You can do it, Marilyn! The heirloom tomatoes here go for 3.99 a pound, my motivation for starting my little garden. Some plants didn't make it, but I have 6 that are pretty good producers. I'll have to look up the name of the place in SC that I ordered a few of my plants from. The variety called Abe Lincoln produces small but really tasty tomatoes.

And in the early season it is the night temps that are the thing that moves them along.

I really like a tomato pie when the tomatoes are so good.

(and basil, because the basil scent throws off the smell of the moths that turn into the dreaded tomato horn worms, so you want to grow them as companions).
Thanks for that. My Italian grandfather always had an epic garden dominated by tomatoes at both his home and behind his upholstery shop. he grew basil in between the tomato plants. I always wondered if there was a reason other than for making Sunday "gravy" for planting the "BASANAGOL" (basil) like that. I never knew it had anything to do with moths because he loved the basil too.

Yes, tomatoes with basil is a win/win. Basil with most nightshades is a win. Any type of basil, it’s the wonderful strong scent that throws them off. The moth‘s caterpillars are the notorious horn worms that decimate tomato plants. Basil is super easy to propagate. Pinch off the tops (before flowering to keep the plant leaves from turning bitter) and stick in water on the kitchen counter, they’ll root in a few days.

Last edited:
Back