Chocolate Buttercream Fudge

gayle-mo

I come from a long line of candy making women and have tried just about every candy and fudge recipe there is at one time or another. My mom and I thought we had found the best of choc fudges in the 1970's and used that recipe for 20+ years. About 9 years ago I was at someone's house who served fudge and reluctantly tasted it. LOL I was a fudge snob because I had never tried anyone's fudge that was better than our recipe. ha I couldn't believe it!!! It was the most incredible, smooth and buttery chocolate fudge I'd ever tasted! She happily gave me the recipe. It has a WHOLE POUND of real butter in it! Everyone raves over this fudge. It adapts to variations well, also.

Chocolate Buttercream Fudge

Into a large heavy pan in which sides have been buttered, combine:

4 1/2 cups sugar
1 lg (12 oz) can evaporated milk - NOT sweetened condensed! (or can use 1/2 & 1/2)
3/4 cup Karo Syrup

**Even one grain of undissolved sugar stuck on the sides of the pan can cause fudge to be grainy, hence the buttered pan sides. I make sure I don't get sugar up on the sides of the pan when placing ingredients in, but then what I do is after mixture begins to boil, I use the back of a wooden spoon to bring the hot mixture up on the sides and bring it back down into the boiling mixture until I can feel no grains on the pan sides. Then, I use a silicone spatula and run it around the sides of the pan and into the hot mixture to make sure there is nothing left. Ingredients are expensive and this has assured me of great results time after time.

Using candy thermometer clipped on pan, boil above ingredients until soft ball @ 240 degrees. Remove pan from burner and add:

2 12 oz pkgs REAL chocolate milk chocolate chips (not imitation chocolate)
1 12 oz bag real chocolate semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 POUND room temperature real dairy butter
3 Tbsp vanilla
dash of salt

Beat at least 5 minutes. The recipe said to beat with wooden spoon, but a friend found that a hand mixer on medium speed works best as if the butter isn't totally incorporated in, it will puddle on top. When ready to pour, you will see the fudge turn into silk before your eyes!!

When well blended add 1 1/2 cups nuts if desired and pour into greased pan. I use a 14x14" Magnalite square bake pan. It will also fit in 1 9x13, plus a 8x8" square. Or several tins, depending on sizes of the tins.

Store in fridge. Keeps very well. I make this every year and pour into buttered tins for gift giving. This makes a very special gift and a large amount of fudge.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back