Corn risotto

charley2

This was in the Cook's Illustrated newsletter today and looks so good. I will serve it with shrimp, I think. I freeze corn every year for holiday meals (a family tradition to have "stewed corn") and use the method they describe to cut the corn off--I cut down about half way through the kernel (if the kernels are large) and then scrape the cob for the "milk". Delicious.

Corn risotto​

GATHER YOUR INGREDIENTS​

4 - 6 ears corn, kernels cut from cobs (4 cups), divided, cobs reserved
5 ½ cups hot water, divided
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 shallot, minced
2 teaspoons table salt
1 garlic clove, minced
½ teaspoon pepper
1 ½ cups Arborio rice
3 sprigs fresh thyme
1 ounce Parmesan cheese, grated (½ cup)
¼ cup crème fraîche
2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
½ teaspoon lemon juice

Serve this risotto with a side salad as a light main course, or serve it as an accompaniment to seared scallops or shrimp or grilled meat. If crème fraîche is unavailable, you can substitute sour cream. A large ear of corn should yield 1 cup of kernels, but if the ears you find are smaller, buy at least six.

Stand 1 reserved corn cob on end on cutting board and firmly scrape downward with back of butter knife to remove any pulp remaining on cob. Repeat with remaining reserved cobs. Transfer pulp to blender. Add 3 cups corn kernels.
Process corn and pulp on low speed until thick puree forms, about 30 seconds. With blender running, add ½ cup hot water. Increase speed to high and continue to process until smooth, about 3 minutes longer. Pour puree into fine-mesh strainer set over large liquid measuring cup or bowl. Using back of ladle or rubber spatula, push puree through strainer, extracting as much liquid as possible (you should have about 2 cups corn liquid). Discard solids.
Melt butter in large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add shallot, salt, garlic, and pepper and cook, stirring frequently, until softened but not browned, about 1 minute. Add rice and thyme sprigs and cook, stirring frequently, until grains are translucent around edges, 2 to 3 minutes.
Stir in 4½ cups hot water. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until liquid is slightly thickened and rice is just al dente, 16 to 19 minutes, stirring twice during cooking.
Add corn liquid and continue to cook, stirring gently and constantly, until risotto is creamy and thickened but not sticky, about 3 minutes longer (risotto will continue to thicken as it sits). Stir in Parmesan and remaining 1 cup corn kernels. Cover pot and let stand off heat for 5 minutes. Stir in crème fraîche, chives, and lemon juice. Discard thyme sprigs and season with salt and pepper to taste. Adjust consistency with remaining ½ cup hot water as needed. Serve immediately.

This does sound good. Let us know how it turns out. I’m low carbing right now, but normally love both corn and risotto.

A friend on another board said she had just made the NYT recipe. It makes an elaborate corn broth and then at the end adds whipped cream!! Why wouldn't that be delicious!!

When I freeze corn I often take all the cobs and make corn broth and freeze to have that available for soups--and this

Back