Day 3 of the Cassoulet Adventure - Tale of Goldielocks and the 3 dishes

music-city-missy

So assembly day comes. First I start with the Staub cast iron pan that I think might be about 6 quarts. Duck fits nicely covering the bottom. Put a layer of beans and then start with the pork and OH BOY we are already up over 1/2 full.

Remove the pork and move duck and first layer of beans to large LC ceramic dish. Forgot to rub with garlic. Oh well, I'll rub from this layer up. hmmm - the duck and the beans barely cover the bottom. Too Big.

Okay, so let's see what the other options are. Romertopf clay baker - no too small. The 6 qt ceramic insert of my crockpot - hmmm not sure it's any bigger than the first Staub pot. LC Oval baker - what the heck - it's smaller than the LC rectangular one and maybe it's larger than the others.

So I start pulling the duck confit from the pan to put in it and it's falling apart by this point. Decided just to go ahead and debone - that way I don't have to worry about someone getting more than their share of the duck. Just barely covers the bottom. Beans don't really form a layer over the duck. Get a nice layer of pork in there. Beans don't really cover the pork. Put sausage and salt pork and finish with beans. Saved enough beans to pretty much get a layer to cover the sausage and salt pork. Warm the sauce and pour over but it wasn't much - only about a quart and it didn't sink down in very good. Think I may not have used enough of the bean juice to stew the pork. Oh well, it can be added as I 'baste'.

Started the grill up to bake it so I wouldn't make DH sick with any smells again. But there is ice on the deck today and he saw what I was doing and told me to bring it in and bake it in the house. (OH - he tried the duck confit and LOVED it so I think that might be part of his change of heart - told him I would 'confit' the breasts over the weekend when we were sure we could eat again without getting sick).

It's in the oven now. It's HUGE. Needless to say, I think there will be plenty of leftovers for us to eat after class. Can't wait to dig in.

Bravo!! I'm surprised you still want to taste it after all this and being sick. Hope you do enjoy.

I'm so proud!

You'll want to add the liquid if you only had a quart of sauce. The liquid should come up almost to the top!

You go girl!

Quote: "It's HUGE." One of the great things about cassoulet is

the leftovers. After a few days you're so stuffed with rich goodness, you don't need to make it again for about seven years. (That's my cycle, anyway.) Enjoy!

Back