Eureka Butterscotch Pudding

melissa-dallas

Wow, was this ever good. I added just a little bit of salt since I used unsalted butter. Huge pudding recipe-I cut it in half. From the NYT website:

Note: We tested this recipe from Wolfgang Puck's restaurant, Eureka, late in the day, and although it said, "Cool before serving," it smelled so tantalizingly delicious that none of us could wait to taste it. And most of us agreed that it was one of the most wonderful things we had ever eaten. It was good cold the next day too--but not as good.

6 ounces butter

2 1/4 cups dark brown sugar, packed

2 1/2 cups half and half

10 tablespoons cornstarch

1/2 teaspoon salt

4 cups milk or half and half

6 egg yolks

1 tablespoon vanilla

Combine butter and brown sugar in saucepan over low heat. Simmer 5 minutes, stirring. Add half and half, stirring until smooth.

Combine cornstarch and salt in bowl. Slowly stir in 1 cup milk or half and half until cornstarch dissolves. Add to saucepan with remaining 3 cups milk or half and half. Bring to boil over low heat, stirring constantly to prevent burning. Boil gently 2 minutes, stirring constantly until thickened. Remove from heat. Slowly whisk in egg yolks, stirring until smooth. Add vanilla.

Return saucepan to heat and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Strain and pour into 12 custard cups. Serve warm or cold. Makes 12 servings.

Back