Instant Pot recipes. T&T ONLY! Your favorites?

marilynfl

Our library has a new option where you can borrow (check out) unique kitchen tools. Today I got the instant Pot---which was so heavy I may have pulled a muscle. I don't have many of those left to waste, so...

I also checked out 3 Instant Pot cookbooks so I don't need random recipes. I'd prefer your favorite tried&true versions.

Thanks. I'm going to ice down my aching back now.

that is some library. one of my favorites is actually oatmeal. since I am normally making this for a lot of people, just adjust the quantities as you need. But the way I do it is:

turn pot on to Saute (heats up quickly)

sprinkle bottom with cinnamon, allspice and ginger powder (my ratio is cinnamon heavy)

pour oats on top

let this toast for a minute or two

stir with a flipping motion to make sure to get the spice off the bottom so it doesn't burn

let it toast for another minute or two

turn off instant pot

add water. Again here you can adjust. I like mine to have a little "gravy" when it is done so I do about an 1/2 " water line above the oats.

add grapeseed oil - this will help when you are releasing pressure and the grapeseed is very neutral flavor. Peanut would be fine for me but not olive or some strongly flavored oil.

close it up and set it to high for 2 minutes. (my IP has the annoying habit of automatically turning on the "keep warm" Turn that off.) After it comes to full pressure and finishes the 2 minutes, I release. At this point the oil helps keep the release from making a massive mess of oatmeal slime coming out of the release valve. When done open and stir.

*My wife likes to stir in fruits/raisins and nuts at this point. I like butter, tiny bit of cream and maple syrup. Sometimes I will cut up apples and add at the beginning. Since vanilla prices have started to come back down to earth, I will sometimes add a couple of drops to the water.

Take a look at the NYTimes this week. Melissa Clark has an article about the IP after 5 years it has been on the market.

DD makes rice a lot. Also an IP chicken pho recipe.
I have one "in the box" that I just can't make myself open mainly because I don't cook as much. But I am beginning to look for the storage place for it--so I can open it.

Thank you, Paul! This is exactly what I'm looking for. I'm going to assume it's "Old fashion oats". Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thank you, Charley2, but I'm only looking for recipes folks here have actually tried and liked, especially if they have hints on using this product. I've got a 6" stack of library recipe books and a subscription to NYT recipes. What I need is personal commentary.

yes not the instant oats. Probably the thing I do most in the IP is bone broth. My best tip is to use the saute to start, like with the oatmeal to get that browning going with the bones. I often do this with a chicken carcass using the Costco rotisserie chicken. After getting the meat off I throw in the leftover bits including the gel at the bottom of the costco container and some skin and let it brown. I throw the bones on top.after a few minutes I will add a complete onion including the husks but maybe chop in a few pieces - or not... Same with garlic. If anyone is sick in the house I'll add extra, fresh garlic including husk. Sometimes when I have a lot of vegetables I'll have saved the throwaway stuff - just to add to my broth making. I'll use that to start deglazing the bottom and maybe add some herbs and spices. I usually use in my chicken bone broth (pretty much same when we have turkey once or twice a year):

3-5 crushed juniper berries, whole allspice (just one for a little subtle layered flavor), several whole black peppercorns. plenty of thyme and some sage. Some salt (watching it!) maybe a few bay leaves. And after I add the water, some apple cider vinegar. I've found this last thing makes a major difference with any kind of bone broth. I'll vary this mix sometimes make it a little Mexican, sometimes a little Asian, or just add a lot of hot chile flakes and give a kick to clear the sinuses! Two hours in the IP on high pressure and then I will run everything through the Chinois with my wooden spoon. The chicken bones will be like ice cream cones at this point and just crush easily and everything healthy gets in the broth. When I've done beef or pork bones they are more durable but with or without vinegar makes a big difference. You can even do more than one batch with some of the big beef or pork bones.

Great, wholesome broth for soup or whatever. I and other family members have literally "felt better" after Dad's soup...

also I've had fantastic results doing this with pork bones and then using that broth as the liquid to make beans.

Yes I saw/know that. I just recommended the article because she talks about its features and what has worked best for the 5 years that they have been out.

Paul's recipe for pork broth would make a good pho broth with some added chinese spices like star anise.

Hi Marilyn,

I love this 7 minute risotto. It's what convinced me to get a pressure cooker, many many years ago. Like 2007 when FK still had an online store. :) I bought a Cuisinart, which has (or had) the highest PSI. I really like it. Anyway, my favorite PC cookbook is hip pressure cooking. You'll enjoy the science in the beginning/intro to pressure cooking guide. I recommend reading that before you get really deep into it. (Laura-author) has a website where there are a ton of tips. I make the risotto as is, then add frozen peas, cooked shrimp or leftover lobster when the risotto is finished cooking. I usually halve the recipe, as it's just the two of us. Haven't made arancini with leftover risotto, though its been on my list....

I'll have more time later today to see if my favorite recipes from the book are posted on her site. Will circle back.

https://www.hippressurecooking.com/pressure-cooker-risotto-in-7-minutes

Hard boiled eggs--peel like a dream. 1 cup water, cold eggs, I lay them on the trivet, you could also use a steamer basket. 5 mins, low pressure, 5 min natural release. Ice bath. SEE PAUL'S NOTE BELOW, RESULTS CAN VARY.

I'm with Paul, easy to make great stocks with minimal effort.

I've made spare ribs using this recipe loosely. I do a dry rub, cook in steamer basket. After cooking is finished, remove, brush with barbecue sauce and grill briefly to get grill marks and char a bit.

www.hippressurecooking.com/pressure-cooker-bbq-pork-ribs-spinach-bean-salad

@monj I've tried the hb eggs several times. I did it two days ago with great results. But I think it is actually tricky because of variables like the egg size and quality. If you are having consistently good results, I'd venture to guess that you are consistently buying from the same source - and that source is consistent. Just think about the egg quality you've seen just getting from different sources. Some eggs I get have thick, sturdy shells with bright yolks, and others have thin shells with dull yolks and sometimes watery. I think where you live also affects the IP results, altitude for example. This is why if you search IP hard boiled eggs you are going to see wildly varying times and pressure levels i.e. 5 minutes low pressure with natural release vs 10 minutes hp with manual release. I've read some pretty impressive tests with beautiful pictures, times, soft/hard boil etc but in my own tests they did not jibe.

Two days ago I tried 5 costco eggs called "large" but they are more medium to me (thin shells, not great quality) So I went with 3 minutes low pressure, natural release. I put in cold water and they peeled like a dream and perfect yolk for HB. Now contrast that with the previous two times before I did 5 min high pressure manual release and the eggs were too runny for even a soft boil as I'd like. The eggs I started with were higher quality. Then I went up to 11 min and the result was over done. It is tricky. In my latest attempt I started so low with the thought that they would be really undercooked but I would just gauge what happened and then put the rest back in for a few more minutes. To my surprise (probably the egg quality and size is the big factor here) at lower pressure, less time they came out perfect for HB. I don't think there can be a perfect recommendation to share, unless you live in the same area and are using the same source for eggs IMHO.

Hi Paul

Thanks for the details of your HB/PC odyssey! I did not realize how fortunate I was not to have these issues. I opened the book, followed the instructions and voila. Clearly there are so many more variables, it's not foolproof.

You are correct--I typically buy my eggs from one source, and I always buy the same size. If we splurge on local farm eggs, I don't hard boil them, as we would rather enjoy their sunny side yolk-iness.

I hope you hit on the right formula!

M

Huh...I had NO CLUE there were several sizes of Instapot. I'd seen the box on an endcap at Walmart and it looked about the size of a mixer. However turns out my library loan bought the big mother (8 quart).

I thought there could be issues when I pulled the loaner out of its storage bag (also used as a body bag on Dexter) and my first thought was: wow...I could process a dozen cans in this with absolutely no problem. My second thought was: when am I ever going to process a dozen cans of anything? My third thought was "make broth!" but then Fried Green Tomatoes (the movie not the meal) popped into my warped mind and I had to shut that down right there.

So...at this moment, I now have enough oatmeal to last until Easter and risotto to last until the Fourth of July. The Instapot has gone back to the library to be loaned out to another patron.

Thanks for your help and recipes.

Back