ISO: ISO: 12 hour pineapple

In Search Of:
I will look some more but this is from his more recent book, not specifically the 12 hour version. I also found a 4 hour version that is more recent.

Excerpted from Green Fire by Francis Mallmann (Artisan Books). Copyright © 2022.​

Fruits are so delicate and evanescent that they rarely benefit from long cooking. But pineapples—just like a rib roast—can cook for a long time. When I cook them on a dome (see page 149), I hang them for hours, but you can also cook them, as I do here, on the grill and obtain lovely results in less time. Think a young wine versus aged Burgundy: they both have their virtues, but with a different investment of time.

Serves 6

2 cups (475 ml) water

2 cups (400 g) sugar

1 ripe pineapple

1 tablespoon vegetable oil, plus more if needed

3 cups (435 g) blueberries

3 cups (710 ml) vanilla ice cream

Prepare a fire for medium heat and set a grate over it. If cooking indoors, preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).

Meanwhile, make a syrup. Pour the water into a saucepan and add the sugar. Set over medium heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sugar dissolves. Pour into a deep roasting pan just large enough to hold the pineapple.

Slice off the bottom and the sides of pineapple and trim out the eyes. Lay the pineapple down in the hot syrup and turn to soak all sides.

If cooking outdoors, brush the grate with oil. Lay the pineapple down on one side and grill until nicely caramelized, about 15 minutes. Pick it up with a set of tongs, dunk it in the syrup to thoroughly drench it, and return it to the grill to brown on the second side. Grill for at least an hour, dunking it in the syrup every 15 minutes and returning it to the grill until all sides are browned and the pineapple is tender. You should be able to poke a bamboo skewer all the way through when it’s done (it will put up slight resistance at the core).

If cooking indoors, lay the pineapple on its side in a second roasting pan and put it in the oven. Every 15 minutes, take it out and roll it in the syrup to baste. When it is tender all the way through and very juicy but still holding its shape, transfer it to a cutting board to rest for 5 minutes before serving.

To serve, divide the blueberries among six serving plates. Crush half of them with the back of a fork, leaving the rest whole, and top each portion with a scoop of ice cream. With a long serrated knife, carve the pineapple into thick rounds and stand one slice upright on its side in each serving of ice cream.

source: Francis Mallmann's Recipe for Whole Roasted Pineapple with Blueberries - DIVINE

Thanks so much. Maybe that's it. Somehow I remember is was served mascarpone cheese.

In the Bon Appetit article from 2018 he just says that he resoaks in pineapple juice every hour for 12 hours. May need to find someone with the Seven Fires book to confirm. Did you have a recipe for this previously?

Yes. I never "wing" anything. I remember it talked about dunking and I went out and bought a $1 pitcher at the dollar store so I had the perfect vessel. I am not sure but I think there was some kind of liquor in the syrup.

The recipe says he rolls it in the syrup every 15 minutes. Also says it can be served with mascarpone in one of the articles.

That looks...amazing. Of course, I've been known to set myself on fire with grills so this probably won't be on my menu any time soon.

I looked at the TOC and Index of three of his books including Seven Fires, 100 Fires, and Green Fire. There is no recipe for 12 hour pineapple. The only recipe for roasted pineapple is the one that I pasted above. It may be that 12 hour is more of the a method than a specific recipe.

I looked at the TOC and Index of three of his books including Seven Fires, 100 Fires, and Green Fire. There is no recipe for 12 hour pineapple. The only recipe for roasted pineapple is the one that I pasted above. It may be that 12 hour is more of the a method than a specific recipe.
Thanks for all your help. Guess I will "wing it" That is a BIG step for me.

Please let us know how it turns out and how you used it.
Good luck! Don't set yourself on fire.

Last edited:
I went through three of his books. Seven Fires has no roasted pineapple recipe. Green Fire has the one I posted above and the only recipe in On Fire is similar to the one posted above. Here it is:

To make the roasted pineapple : If cooking outdoors , heat a charcoal grill over medium heat . If cooking indoors , heat the oven
to 375 ° F .
Pour the water into a saucepan , add the sugar , and heat over medium heat , stirring occasionally , until the sugar dissolves .
Pour into a deep roasting pan just large enough to hold the pineapple .
Slice off the bottom and top of the pineapple . Remove the skin and trim out the eyes . Lay the pineapple in the syrup and turn
to soak all sides . If cooking outdoors , grill the pineapple slowly , turning to brown all sides . Occasionally dunk it in the syrup to
baste , using tongs to turn it over in the syrup . The pineapple should be tender in about 1 hour . If cooking indoors , lay the
pineapple on its side in a roasting pan and bake until it is tender all the way through and very juicy but still holds its shape , about
1 hour . Every 15 minutes , take the pineapple out , roll it in the syrup to baste , and return to the pan , rotating the pan .
Transfer the pineapple to a cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes . ( Reserve the syrup for another use , such as the Grilled
Bizcochuelo Strips on page 244. )

I found a paragraph mentioning mascarpone in a BON APPETIT article by Francis Mallmann==>

Does the pineapple hold its shape after 12 hours of cooking?
Oh, yeah. It shrinks quite a bit, but even a pineapple, which is very, very hard, becomes tender. We take care to get beautiful, really nice caramelized brown sides all around it, so when you cut a slice of it you’ll see all these crunchy parts on the outside. We serve it with a plop of mascarpone or ice cream, and I love to serve it with a big spoonful of quince jelly that we make.

The following paragraph is where the 12-hour cooking time is alluded to:

Where did you get the inspiration to grill pineapple?
Pineapple is very sweet and harsh, but when you cook it very slowly and toast it on every side and on the bottoms, it becomes like a confit. What I do with a pineapple is every hour I’ll just dip it into a pineapple syrup as it cooks, so it comes out soaked, and then it keeps on grilling for another hour. [At Los Fuegos by Francis Mallmann in Miami] we’ll do that like, 12 times. At the restaurant we probably cook 20 pineapples all at the same time.

Back