1 tablespoon finely grated onion

1 dash Tabasco

1/4 teaspoon sweet paprika

1 teaspoon salt

2 tablespoons finely chopped dill

1 pint finely flaked poached fresh salmon or -- skin and bones remov

canned salmon

1 cup heavy cream

Soften the gelatin in cold water in a large mixing bowl. Stir in the boiling water and whisk the mixture slowly until gelatin dissolves. Cool to room temperature. Whisk in the mayo, lemon juice, grated onion, Tabasco, paprika, salt and dill. Stir to blend completely and refrigerate for about 20 minutes, or til the mixture begins to thicken slightly. Fold in the finely flaked salmon. In a separate bowl, whip the cream until it is thickened to peaks and fluffy. Fold gently into the salmon mixture.Transfer the mixture to a 6- to 8- cup bowlor decorative mold. Cover and chill for at least 4 hours.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : I made this with a can of smoked salmon from Trader Joe's and it was excellent.

Another inhaled-by-the-crowd REC- Hot Artichoke Heart Spread

HOT ARTICHOKE HEART SPREAD

1 large can Progresso artichoke hearts (plain)
1 can chopped green chilies, drained
1 garlic clove, minced
2 tbs. sliced green onions
2 tbs. seeded, chopped tomato
1 cup mayonnaise
1 small handful Parmesan cheese

Heat oven to 350 F. Mix all ingredients except onions and tomatoes until well blended. Spoon into shallow ovenproof dish or 9-inch pie plate. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until lightly browned. Sprinkle with onions and tomatoes. Serve with toasted bread cutouts.

REC: Raspberry-Camembert Spread

Raspberry-Camembert Spread

10 oz. pkg. frozen raspberries
8 oz. cream cheese, cubed and softened
8 oz. Camembert, rind removed and cubed
1/4 c. coarsely chopped walnuts, toasted
walnut halves
pear slices

Thaw and drain raspberries. Combine with cheeses in food processor with knife blade, process until smooth. Add walnuts and pulse until blended. Spoon into serving bowl. Garnish with walnut halves if desired. Cover and refrigerate
overnight to allow flavors to blend. Let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes before serving with red and green pear slices. Makes 2 1/3 c.

CYH
Cyndi

REC: "Edible" Wreath

Edible Wreath (This is always a big hit - I used to make it when I catered...and everyone loved it. Cyndi)

Styrofoam ring
fresh parsley bunches (about 2-3 lg.)
foil, tape, toothpicks, bow (opt.)
ornaments: radish roses, cheese stars, green and black olives, cherry tomatoes, miniature red, yellow and orange peppers

To assemble: wash and dry parsley well; MUST be clean and dry. Cover a Styrofoam ring with foil. Place on serving dish. Take small bunches of
parsley, tape them to the ring or stick half toothpicks through them into the ring. Place bunches on top of each other, working your way around the ring, to cover top for "greens" on the wreath. Spread them so some of the pieces will also help cover part of the outer sides.

Stagger toothpicks around the wreath, place radishes (cut like flowers), stars (use a small canapé cutter to cut stars from blocks of cheese, cut 1/4" thick or so), and the remaining vegetables throughout the parsley, so you have your wreath "decorated". Place a small bowl in the center of the wreath, and fill it with Ranch or Cucumber Ranch salad dressing. Have extra
vegetables so you can refill the wreath as necessary (as well as extra salad dressing).

Another nice touch is to make mini cream puffs and fill them with a cheese mixture or chicken
salad, and use them as well on the wreath.

CYH
Cyndi

REC: Christmas Cheese Ball

Christmas Cheese Ball

8 oz. cream cheese
1 1/2 oz. Roquefort or Bleu cheese
5 oz. sharp cheese spread (Kraft jars)
1 tsp. Worchestershire sauce
1 T. finely minced onion
1 T. chopped stuffed green olives

Blend first 6 ingredients thoroughly. Cover and chill overnight. Shape as desired (see below); serve with assorted crackers.

Variations: For Christmas: shape like a pine cone. Using whole, unskinned almonds to decorate, beginning at the bottom of the "cone", place nuts,points down, and layer up to the top, to resemble a real pine cone. Top with a
piece of artificial pine.

For summer or a luau: Shape like a fresh pineapple. With a paring knife, score cheese ball, so lines form small diamonds. Slice green olives; place olive slices in each "diamond". Can use a real pineapple top to complete the appearance.

For regular cheese ball: Form into a ball and roll in 2 T. minced parsley and 1/2 c. chopped nuts

CYH
Cyndi

REC: Bethany's Deep-Fried Ravioli with two sauces

Bethany's Deep-Fried Ravioli with two sauces (my youngest daughter...)

Buy the small, round, cheese-filled ravioli. Do not defrost. Dip each one
first in flour, then in beaten egg, then in Panko (Japanese) or Italian
breadcrumbs. Fry in hot oil; drain well.

Heat a jar of tomato-vodka cream spaghetti sauce and place in one bowl.

Heat one jar of Contadina pesto sauce with about ½ to ¾ c. half and half, and 3-4 T. grated Romano cheese; place in second bowl.

Serve ravioli hot (can reheat) with the choice of sauces, and watch them disappear!

CYH
Cyndi

Thank you for asking..............

The damage will be several more years in recovery unfortunately. It's the problem with an island that can't be accessed easily and immediately and a government that is naieve and inexperienced.

And then Wilma did more. I"m not sure it's worth it anymore, until I look outside and see snow.

And nope, I'm just getting back to recipes now as I have been away (there) for a year.

I just made these for a charity auction and they were a HUGE hit. REC: Shrimp Cakes

These are like crab cakes, but made with shrimp. I found them super easy to work with. The mixture is sticky and doesn't fall apart when you fry them.

I made them about 50 cent piece size and put a dollop of roasted red pepper aioli on each one. Bonus... they can be made one or two days ahead and reheated in the oven. I did that with no problem. (I used olive oil, not peanut, and it worked just fine)

SHRIMP CAKES

16 uncooked large shrimp (about 1 pound), peeled, deveined
1 large egg
1 green onion, sliced
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt
Pinch of ground black pepper
2 cups panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
2 tablespoons (or more) peanut oil

Coarsely chop shrimp in processor. Add egg, green onion, lemon juice, mustard, cilantro, hot pepper sauce, salt, and pepper. Blend in using on/off turns. Add 1 cup panko and blend in using on/off turns. Form mixture into twelve 3-inch-diameter cakes. Roll cakes in remaining 1 cup panko; transfer to waxed-paper-lined baking sheet. Refrigerate 10 minutes. (Can be made up to 4 hours ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)

Heat 2 tablespoons peanut oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Working in batches, fry cakes until cooked through and golden brown on both sides, adding more oil to skillet as needed, about 6 minutes.

Market tip: Unseasoned Japanese breadcrumbs called panko, give these shrimp cakes a light, crispy coating. Dry white breadcrumbs make a good substitute. Panko is available in the Asian foods section of some supermarkets and at Asian markets.

Makes 6 first-course servings.

Bon Appétit
September 2005
Sansei Seafood Restaurant & Sushi Bar, Maui

Have Panko, will make. Thank you! These would be nice appetizer

to take to my friend's family during the holidays. She's making a halibut curry.

REC: Stilton Cheese Tart from Gourmet

I have already made this twice and have two more occasions that I am planning on bringing it too. It was very well received both times. I did use the Cherry Ginger Chutney I made this summer (from Jaques Pepin) instead of the given cranberry chutney.

Also, the first time I made it I bought an expensive piece of Stilton at Whole Foods. The second time I bought an inexpensive piece from the local "Giant" grocery. I could not tell the difference. I think by the time you add the eggs, cream and chutney it is not necessary to spend the extra $$$ on the cheese.

STILTON TART WITH CRANBERRY CHUTNEY

Pastry dough
1 cup heavy cream
1 whole large egg
2 large egg yolks
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
5 oz chilled Stilton, rind removed and cheese crumbled (1 1/2 cups)

Accompaniment: cranberry chutney
Special equipment: a 13 1/2- by 4- by 1-inch rectangular fluted tart pan with a removable bottom; pie weights or raw rice

Make tart shell:
Preheat oven to 350°F.

Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface with a floured rolling pin into a 17- by 8-inch rectangle and fit into tart pan. Trim excess dough, leaving a 1/2-inch overhang, then fold overhang inward and press against side of pan to reinforce edge. Lightly prick bottom and sides all over with a fork. Chill until firm, about 30 minutes.

Line pastry shell with foil and fill with pie weights. Bake in middle of oven 20 minutes, then carefully remove foil and weights and bake until golden, 10 to 15 minutes more. Cool shell in pan 20 minutes.

Reduce oven temperature to 325°F.

Make filling:
Whisk together cream, whole egg, yolks, salt, and pepper until combined.

Put tart shell (still in pan) on a baking sheet and scatter cheese evenly in shell. Slowly pour custard into shell and bake in middle of oven until golden around edge and custard is just set, 30 to 35 minutes. Cool tart completely in pan on a rack.

Cut tart into 32 rectangles and serve at room temperature, topped with chutney.

• Tart can be made in an 81/2- by 1-inch round fluted tart pan with a removable bottom instead of in a rectangular one. • Tart can be made 1 day ahead and chilled, covered. Reheat before serving
Makes 32 hors d'oeuvres.
Gourmet
December 2001

Back