ISO: ISO thanksgiving stuffing/dressing that’s meat free

In Search Of:

mariadnoca

I’m sure chicken stock would be ok, but friends (several of us old timers oddly) have developed a dislike for meat.

Do you stuff the turkey? I sort of assume not since you mention using chicken broth but I will tell you mine anyway.
I never put meat or eggs in my stuffing for "in" the turkey. I saute a LOT of onion and celery, well seasoned with salt, black pepper and chopped sage. I can do this a day or so ahead. I cube crustless white bread and let it dry in a low oven. When I am ready to cook the turkey I mix the bread and onion mixture well (I putit in a big plastic bag to tumble it together) and stuff the turkey (really really stuff it). This passes the family's approval every year.

My father did this but added a lot of chopped chestnuts--which is the one I grew up on. I have done it occasionally but they are a bit hard to find now.

I have also done a dressing outside the turkey mixing equal parts corn bread and bread cubes prepared as above. Put in a baking disn and drizzle with some of the turkey broth and chicken broth. Then baked. I think some cranberries added to this would make it interesting too

I never put meat in my stuffing. It's bread, sauteed veggies, milk (Mom) or broth (me), eggs, and spices. And butter. Lots of butter to saute everything. Baked either inside turkey or outside. Will be soft baked inside and crunchy baked outside. Let me know if you need more details.

My MIL insisted on putting Italian sausage in her stuffing and it completely threw my tastebuds off on bitefuls of turkey then sausage stuffing. Also, even after 30 years, I could never get into the Southern cornbread stuffing...it always tasted dry to me.

Yes, when I did make the cornbread dressing (outside the turkey) it was for my dear MIL when she was with us. And her cornbread by itself was always too dry for me!! But SHE was a dear.

Maybe Paul can retrieve this recipe from dear Charlie--it's been my go-to forever.

I have to put the parsley near the bowl or I'll forget to put it in! It easier for me to mix in 2 bowls, then I put in 9 x 13 baking dish and bake for 45 mins, covered for 30. Uncover for 15--top crunchy, rest nice and moist.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back