RECIPE: Last of the summer corn… Rec: Fresh corn salsa

RECIPE:

mariadnoca

My neighbor made this, without jalapeños, but with avocado and gave me half. Super delicious. I added to tacos, but couldn’t help myself—I ate the rest with a fork!

-Maria

Fresh Corn Salsa

Recipe yields about 4 cups

INGREDIENTS

3 cups raw corn kernels* (from about 4 cobs of shucked sweet corn)1 cup finely chopped red onion (about ½ medium onion)Optional: 1 diced ripe avocado½ cup finely chopped fresh cilantro (about 1 bunch)1 to 2 medium jalapeños, finely chopped (use 1 for mild-to-medium salsa or 2 for more spicy salsa)¼ cup lime juice (about 2 limes), to taste1 tablespoon white wine vinegar¼ teaspoon chili powder¼ teaspoon ground cumin½ teaspoon fine sea salt
INSTRUCTIONS

In a medium serving bowl, combine all of the ingredients. Stir to combine.Adjust to taste, if necessary: For more zing, add about 1 teaspoon more vinegar or 1 tablespoon more lime juice. For more flavor overall, add another pinch of salt. For more spice, add more jalapeño.For best flavor, allow the salsa to marinate for 20 minutes before serving. This salsa keeps well in the refrigerator, covered, for 3 to 4 days.
NOTESRecipe roughly adapted from my black bean salad.

CORN OPTIONS: I love raw sweet corn here, but you could also use frozen corn, defrosted and drained. Want more smoky flavor? Grill your corn before making this salsa!

https://cookieandkate.com/fresh-corn-salsa-recipe/

it looks like it is specific to the browser you are using which I believe is Safari

I'm thinking that this would be so, so perfect with' those' beef tacos, as a side.

I gave the last of my corn to the raccoons but, there is still some around to buy. Thanks, now I have to do this.

It seems like such a rush to get all of the 'last of the season' ... still working on peaches.

Maria,

This was very good.

I just made it with local fresh corn (2 cobs worth) with a few minor adjustments: sauteed the kernels for about 2 minutes to remove starchiness and tempered the red onion (hot water and vinegar) since my mouth and raw onions just don't get along. The only thing I forgot was that I was at mom's so no cumin, although there was chili powder leftover from COVID spice buy.

I had bought a local, organic, heirloom tomato to add to it (multiply price of a tomato by the number of adjectives) but mom ate it one night, thinking it was a peach. It was sitting next to the bowl of fresh peaches and when I asked her about it the next day she said she did think it was an odd tasting peach.

We aren't getting local corn yet here. It may not be local but I am getting good corn in the supermarket probably coming from Florida still. Especially when the supermarket puts it on sale for as little as 3/$1 it is especially good young and fresh.

I make something similar to this as a salad adding some black beans and diced tomatoes,. The cumin vinaigrette is perfect for it also

Great price. I bought some yesterday and it was 5/$4...80 cents each. It was...okay. Not sure where it came from, but it was bicolor.
I picked up avocados and tomatoes this morning to try your recipe. I'll be leaving out the onions and jalapeno because we're wimps here.

My neighbor made this, without jalapeños, but with avocado and gave me half. Super delicious. I added to tacos, but couldn’t help myself—I ate the rest with a fork!

-Maria

Fresh Corn Salsa

Recipe yields about 4 cups

INGREDIENTS

3 cups raw corn kernels* (from about 4 cobs of shucked sweet corn)1 cup finely chopped red onion (about ½ medium onion)Optional: 1 diced ripe avocado½ cup finely chopped fresh cilantro (about 1 bunch)1 to 2 medium jalapeños, finely chopped (use 1 for mild-to-medium salsa or 2 for more spicy salsa)¼ cup lime juice (about 2 limes), to taste1 tablespoon white wine vinegar¼ teaspoon chili powder¼ teaspoon ground cumin½ teaspoon fine sea salt
INSTRUCTIONS

In a medium serving bowl, combine all of the ingredients. Stir to combine.Adjust to taste, if necessary: For more zing, add about 1 teaspoon more vinegar or 1 tablespoon more lime juice. For more flavor overall, add another pinch of salt. For more spice, add more jalapeño.For best flavor, allow the salsa to marinate for 20 minutes before serving. This salsa keeps well in the refrigerator, covered, for 3 to 4 days.
NOTESRecipe roughly adapted from my black bean salad.

CORN OPTIONS: I love raw sweet corn here, but you could also use frozen corn, defrosted and drained. Want more smoky flavor? Grill your corn before making this salsa!

Fresh Corn Salsa
I have had luck with both freezing and canning salsa, although not with avocado. I like it with fish during the winter. My recipe is about the same. Good stuff.

Back