Moyn's Mojo Marinade

mariadnoca

REC: Moyn's Mojo Marinade

Mojo (pron. M0 – ho)

Mojo is the national table sauce of Cuba. It is traditionally made with the fresh juice of the sour orange; it can also be made with the juice of one large orange, mixed with the juice of half a lemon. I don’t use it as a table sauce, but as a marinade for beef, pork and chicken. It is equally good on all three! Don’t be fooled by the simplicity of the recipe! The taste is fantastic!!

1/2 cup olive oil

8 cloves garlic, minced

3/4 cup sour orange juice, or 3/4 cup

freshly squeezed orange juice mixed with the

juice of 1/2 lemon (see note above)

3/4 teaspoon ground cumin

Salt and ground black pepper to taste.

Heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat: Add garlic and cook until fragrant but not browned, 20 to 30 seconds: Remove from the heat and let cool for 5 minutes. Carefully stir in juice (it may splatter!) and spices (cumin, salt and pepper) and bring to a boil. Boil for a minute or so. Let cool to room temperature. This sauce will keep, covered and refrigerated, for up

to 3 days.

Makes enough to marinate 3 pounds of trimmed, boneless, skinless chicken breasts, or an equal amount of pork or beef. EXCELLENT as a marinade for fajitas (chicken or beef), and for carne asada (barbequed flank steak, sliced thinly for a taco or burrito filling).

I often marinate boneless, skinless chicken breasts overnight in a ziplock bag, turning whenever I think about it. Grill over hot coals until both sides brown. Move to cool part of grill and finish cooking, turning every few minutes. DO NOT OVER-COOK!

Chicken will be plump, juicy, and ready for plating as an entrée, or as a filling for tacos/burritos. Sliced thin, on the diagonal, placed in a hot flour tortilla, covered with melted pepper-jack, scattered with fresh sprigs of cilantro and chopped green onion ---WOW. Actually, you can add any of your favorite condiments: sour cream, Spanish rice, black beans, avocado/guacamole, lime juice, etc., etc.

Leftovers, if any, are wonderful as a cold mexican chicken salad. Slice chicken and add to your favorite baby salad greens. Very good with a citrus vinaigrette, and little chunks of ripe mango.

Thanks Moyn!

Back