No Bake Lemon Tarts, Diabetic friendly

marsha-tbay

NO BAKE LEMON MINI TARTS: SUGAR-FREE, GLUTEN-FREE, EGG-FREE

Judy Barnes Baker

I found some cute little tarts at Whole Foods called, Hail Merry. They were egg-free, dairy-free, and raw but the first ingredient was agave nectar. I bought them anyway to see if I could make something similar minus the nasty fructose. Mine are tasty little treats that contain lots of good fats but no sugar. They can be dairy-free if made with coconut oil.

Ingredients

Crust:

1 cup almond, cashew, or other nut flour

3/4 cup finely grated, dried coconut

Sugar substitute with bulk to equal 2 tablespoons sugar*

3 tablespoons lemon juice

1 and 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

4 and 1/2 tablespoons butter, ghee, or coconut oil, melted

Pinch of salt

Filling:

½ cup butter, ghee, or coconut oil, softened to room temperature

1/3 cup full fat coconut, almond, or other low-carb milk

1/3 cup fresh lemon juice

Sugar substitute with bulk* equal to ¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar

1 teaspoon sugar-free vanilla extract

2 teaspoons lemon extract

Grated zest of 2 medium lemons

¼ teaspoon salt

Instructions

Make the crust:

Grease 2 mini-muffin pans (twelve cup size).

In a medium bowl, combine the crust ingredients and mix well. Roll into a log on waxed paper. Cut into 24 slices. Roll each slice into a ball and press into tart pans. It will take about 2 teaspoons of dough per tart. Chill crusts until ready to fill.

Make the filling:

Place butter or coconut oil in a bowl and beat until fluffy or blend in a food processor. Add low-carb milk, lemon juice, sweetener, extracts, zest, and salt and beat or blend until mixture is smooth. Taste and add more lemon juice or sweetener as needed.

Assemble tarts:

Spoon filling into each crust. Garnish with a sprinkle of lemon zest if desired. Refrigerate until set. If you have extra filling, serve it as a delicious Lemon Pudding or freeze it in mini-muffin pans or paper cupcake liners to make individual Lemon Fat Bombs.

Makes 24 tarts,

*Sugar substitutes with bulk include Swerve, erythritol, xylitol, Just Like Sugar, LC-Foods Sweet, and stevia or sucralose blends, among others.

My tarts would have made a prettier picture if I had toasted the nuts, but they are more healthful with raw nuts. (The Omega-6 oils in nuts are fragile and are easily damaged when heated.) You could use nut meal rather than nut flour if you want the raw crusts to look brown.

http://www.carbwarscookbooks.com/no-bake-lemon-mini-tarts-sugar-free-gluten-free-egg-free/

Back