NYTimes had a good article on inflation affecting restaurant costs

marilynfl

I'm attaching the link...not sure it will work since this one didn't have a share option.

The restaurant in the interview is in Charlotte, NC and a dinner bill was over $200...for an "upscale but casual" restaurant.

Screen Shot 2022-08-09 at 3.49.06 PM.jpg

I did grab a snapshot of an interactive pricing comparison from 2019 and now:

Screen Shot 2022-08-09 at 3.41.39 PM.jpg

I thought beef and seafood would top the list, but OIL...huh. It's just like the gas affecting our car travel. Along those lines, I couldn't buy the right kind of paint for mom's porch because it is petroleum-based and the manufacturer can't get the raw material to produce it due to COVID, supply chain, staffing, and international war issues impacting imports.

I guess I'll be a little more frugal with my olive oil and cooking oils for now.

Last edited:
Oh I saw that article and meant to read. Didn't realize it was Charlotte. This is a top restaurant and this is a"small plate" restaurant. Just FYI. Our son in law has interests in 5 restaurants and supply in addition to employee pay (if you can fill the slots) makes it a VERY hard life right now.

That was a really interesting cost breakdown. It opened for me as I was logged in to nyt already vis the library. Wouldn’t let me gift the article for some reason though.

Thanks for sharing

I just read the entire article and it is REALLY revealing of the problems here. The liquor store problem was for everyone--at the begining of the year through June shelves on our ABC stores were largely empty of many brands/kinds. Trader Joe's wine offerings shrank to about 2 shelves!! That was due to several things like distillers not being able to get their glass bottles or the bureauacracy of NC liquor control. Lots of stuff going on.

That turns out to be in today's paper--I must have skimmed by it online and thought I had tossed it. Thanks again.

Back