Questions for our Arizona friends: my sister now lives there and LOVES "butter cake"

marilynfl

I have no more information than that...other than it has a crispy edge and soft interior. They're currently near Phoenix and I've pinged her to get a location where she ate it. But she was pretty darned impressed.

Thanks.
M

(I found a copycat version for a restaurant called Mastro (in Scottsdale, AZ) and it uses butter-flavored Crisco. I'll use that as a first test sample, but not really looking forward to it.)

It does look enticing. Don't think I've been to that restaurant but lots are willing to share recipes. It has cream cheese in the centre?? There are several recipes posted with butter as the ingredient but I did see the crisco one also. I am going to be interested to see how you do with this. I'm ready for a new dessert.

Butter cake was a favorite potluck offering of a friend 'way back when our kids were in school. And horrors, she used cake mix. It was TDF. But here is one of many recipes.
Personally I'd use butter as this one does--with a "history"

I spent more time looking for recipes. MY>>>>>>>>>>>> (whoops, cat on lap, purring and helping) this cake certainly is famous! No doubt, you would not get the recipe from the restaurant but I look forward to the results of your experiments.

Its been a long time since I made this, but recall it was well received.

Forum Home Page: Gail's Recipe Swap
Re: ISO:scratch gooey butter cake (cowgirl)
Previous Message: I have made this one out of the archives and it is very
good.COMN for original thread REC inside (Celia (recipe from Debi San Jose))
Next: thank you for the gooey cake!!! (cowgirl)
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2001 20:43:28 GMT

Whoever originally posted this REC: Gooey Butter Cake please stand up-it is
great...

Gooey Butter Cake

Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :1:00

-------- ------------ ---------------------
-----------
3 cups cake flour
1 3/4 cups sugar
1/3 cup powdered milk
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter -- melted,
plus
2 tablespoons butter -- melted
2 eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
***TOPPING***
8 ounces cream cheese --
softened
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 pound powdered sugar

Sift together cake flour, sugar, dry milk,
baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
Add melted butter, eggs and vanilla. Beat
together to make a thick batter. Spread
into greased 16 x 11 inch jelly roll pan.

Prepare topping by beating cream cheese
until creamy; add eggs and vanilla. Blend
in powdered sugar. Spread topping on cake
batter. Bake at 350 for 25 to 30 minutes
until top is golden brown. Cool and cut
into 2" squares.

Alert us of bad posts.
Responses
1. Charlie:I Think That It Would Be Sherry/Texas (Marbalet@McDonoughGA)
1. Marbalet, I second this! Have made this version many times... (Rita/NJ)
1. Thank you, ladies---including Sherry.nt (Charlie )

Thanks for the recipes. I didn't bring any of my 3 mixers with me to Pittsburgh and have no intention of using Mom's 40-quart Hobart. So testing will have to wait. Unfortunately, my sister is leaving for AZ in a day or so and I really wanted her to taste the samples for authenticity.
Hobart Mixer.jpg

She made apple strudels and consigned them to two local grocery stores. She would make 24-48 strudels 2-3 times a week. For local craft fairs twice a year she would make 200...all hand-made, dough hand-pulled, fresh apples peeled manually. Also, she would donated 60-75 strudels for her church's fund-raiser. Once she donated 20 to the Pittsburgh Symphony when an Austrian maestro was in town conducting. He said it was the closest he's ever had to his family's strudel.

In Florida, an Austrian chef hand-made his strudels and sold them for $24 each. Mom was selling hers to the stores for $5. (They, in turn, were charging $14 a piece).

I finally gave up trying to convince her to charge more.

I remember this monster. I groan when I have to lift mine onto the counter. Do you have any photos of your mom making strudel? I am so in awe of people who are willing to take on that dough.

alrighty. Sister is staying until Sunday and just dropped off her KA. She also confirmed they've had butter cake at
  • Paul Martins (Scottsdale)
  • Hand-Cut Burger & Steak (Scottsdale)
  • Maestro (Scottsdale).

Paul Martin's says theirs is the Original St. Louis butter cake version
From the NYTimes St. Louis Gooey Butter Cake

INGREDIENTS FOR THE CAKE
3 tablespoons/45 milliliters milk at room temperature
1 ¾ teaspoons/5 grams active dry yeast
6 tablespoons/85 grams unsalted butter at room temperature
3 tablespoons/45 grams sugar
1 teaspoon/5 grams kosher salt
1 large egg
1 ¾ cups/215 grams all-purpose flour

FOR THE TOPPING
3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon/50 milliliters light corn syrup
2 ½ teaspoons/10 milliliters vanilla extract
12 tablespoons/170 grams/1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 ½ cups/300 grams sugar ½ teaspoon/3 grams kosher salt 1 large egg
1 cup plus 3 tablespoons/145 grams all-purpose flour
Confectioners’ sugar, for sprinkling

PREPEARATION:
Step 1 In a small bowl, mix milk with 2 tablespoons warm water. Add yeast and whisk gently until it dissolves. Mixture should foam slightly. Step 2 Using an electric mixer with paddle attachment, cream butter, sugar and salt. Scrape down sides of bowl and beat in the egg. Alternately add flour and the milk mixture, scraping down sides of bowl between each addition. Beat dough on medium speed until it forms a smooth mass and pulls away from sides of bowl, 7 to 10 minutes.
Step 3 Press dough into an ungreased 9-by 13-inch baking dish at least 2 inches deep. Cover dish with plastic wrap or clean tea towel, put in a warm place, and allow to rise until doubled, 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
Step 4 Heat oven to 350 degrees. To prepare topping, in a small bowl, mix corn syrup with 2 tablespoons water and the vanilla. Using an electric mixer with paddle attachment, cream butter, sugar and salt until light and fluffy, 5 to 7 minutes. Scrape down sides of bowl and beat in the egg. Alternately add flour and corn syrup mixture, scraping down sides of bowl between each addition.
Step 5 Spoon topping in large dollops over risen cake and use a spatula to gently spread it in an even layer. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes; cake will rise and fall in waves and have a golden brown top, but will still be liquid in center when done. Allow to cool in pan before sprinkling with confectioners’ sugar for serving

A Maestro clone is COMPLETELY 180 DEGREES DIFFERENT

Ingredients
For Coating:
½ Cup Butter Flavored Crisco
1 Cup Turbinado Sugar
For Cake:
1 Cup Butter Flavored Crisco
1 ½ Cups Granulated Sugar
2 Eggs
1 ½ Cup Milk
2 Teaspoons Vanilla Bean Paste
3 Cups All-Purpose Flour
1 Tablespoon + 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
1 Teaspoon Salt

Raspberry Sauce: 1 Cup Fresh Raspberries 1 Tablespoon Sugar ½ Cup Water
To Top: Vanilla Ice Cream Fresh Raspberries

Instructions
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Thoroughly rub the inside of each ramekin with ½ cup Crisco (just enough to coat), including bottom and very top edges.
2. Sprinkle turbinado sugar into the ramekins, ensuring it covers all the sides and the bottom. Shake out excess sugar and place in the next buttered ramekin. Repeat with all ramekins.
3. Add 1 cup Crisco and granulated sugar to the bowl of a stand mixer. Using a paddle attachment, mix to combine.
4. While the mixer is on low speed, add one egg at a time.
5. Combine milk and vanilla in a separate bowl.
6. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a separate bowl.
7. Add the flour mixture and milk mixture to the Crisco mixture in ALTERNATING, small batches, beginning and ending with flour. Be sure to scrape down the sides of the mixing bowl with a rubber spatula. Do not overmix.
8. Fill the ramekins ¾ of the way up.
9. Bake, uncovered, for 18-23 minutes (cake will be a little gooey in the middle, which is intentional).
10. Let cool for 5 minutes and then invert the buttercake onto your plate.
11. Top with vanilla ice cream and raspberry sauce (recipe follows). Serve immediately.

Raspberry Sauce:
1. Place all of the ingredients into a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Break the raspberries up with a potato masher.
2. Cook for 3-5 minutes. Then submerge an immersion blender into the liquid and blend until smooth. You can also blend in a blender.
3. Serve over warm Butter Cakes.

I remember this monster. I groan when I have to lift mine onto the counter. Do you have any photos of your mom making strudel? I am so in awe of people who are willing to take on that dough.
No lifting this sucker. It's 4 foot tall.
Mom is camera shy. No photos of her making the strudel...which was usually started at 3 AM and finished by 6 AM.

Back