RECIPE: REC: Black Walnut Fudge

RECIPE:

gayle-mo

Black Walnut Fudge

Butter sides of a heavy pan and add:

3 cups sugar

1 can evaporated milk (or 12 oz half and half)

3/4 c sugar

Cook to softball stage on candy thermometer, remove from heat and add:

1/2 stick butter

3/4 cup black walnuts

1 tsp vanilla

dash of salt

Stir well and whip with wooden spoon until it begins to lose it's shine. Quickly pour into buttered dish.

Gayle, are there black walnut trees in south MO? I remember the black walnuts from>>

my childhood in Northeast Mo. There were a couple of trees on my dad's farm and he would gather walnuts in a trailor pulled by a tractor and bring them in. They were dumped on the ground,left to dry for awhile, then he used the tractor to run over them and remove those green shells. We picked up the walnuts and stored them. They are one hard nut to crack as the saying goes! We had to use a hammer. There's a bit of finesse involve in hitting the nut hard enough to break up the shell but not crush the nutmeat. We used a thin nail to extract it from the pieces of shell, very hightec.

Unfortunately, as more land was cleared for farming and the trees became valuable for their wood, they all but disappeared in that area. Some that were visible from roads were cut by rustlers, who came at night and harvested the wood to sell.

I haven't tasted a black walnut in years, guess I should try to locate some. Thanks for the memories, lol.

COML for a Black Walnut source. I just ordered some last week...

I had them sent to my mom's in Arizona so I haven't seen/tasted them yet but I'll report back. I'm planning on making Mexican Wedding Cookies with them. I've never tried this but I have heard that it's wonderful. I'll report back on that too!

http://www.black-walnuts.com/

NFRC: Curious..yes, we have black walnuts around here by the tons....

I think they are an acquired taste for anyone who hasn't ever had them because they are so different but they sure make wondeful fudge!

My brother and I picked them up by the huge bags full when we were kids. Oh, I can remember the smell and STAINING of the hands if you happened to get some on you! We cracked ours on our back step with a hammer, too!

I buy mine in a bag now!!!! smileys/wink.gif

If you can find the nuts, try the recipe. You'll love it!

I can't imagine black walnuts in Mexican Wedding Cookies so let me know what you think!

I usually use pecans in that type cookie. Let me know what you think and maybe I'll try it next time!

The fudge it TDF if you like the nuts! I make it especially for some older friends who grew up on them. Back in 'the old days' it's the only nut available in our area, or I guess I should say, the only nut that was affordable. Pecans were very expensive.

What am I saying!? I paid $7 a pound for pecans this year and last year it was 2 lbs for that!!

You should have seen my elderly friend's faces when they tasted the black walnut fudge. That made me really happy!

Your trip sounds great! I know you'll have a great time!

I can't quite imagine it either but supposedly they're heavenly. I usually use pecans too!

Curious, My Publix carries black walnuts, in their regular >>>>

nut department, BUT, ONLY at Holiday time. After the New Year, they seem to disappear. I still have a bag in the freezer, from last year. Do give your Publix a shot, & if you have no luck, I'll look for them at mine & be happy to send them to you.

Mimi - this place is about 25 miles from me!! hahaha

I told you there were tons of black walnuts in our area! I'll bet some of the ones you get come from my town! I know 2 women who picked up I think it was 2,000 pounds of walnuts and sold them!

Thatsa lotsa nuts!

Thanks Moyn, I'll check Publix today, but I really don't make candy anymore...

the problem was...I ate it, lol. Not sure if it's me or the humidity, but since moving to Florida I've not had much luck with candy.

I'm sure they did. It's a stain that's hard to remove...

I know that!

Sorry to be so long replying. Was gone all day today. Shopping! Nearly done. Whew

Curious.....it's a strange thing with me.....

I can't 'afford' to eat much candy, but I do taste each batch I make, usually a spoonful or a small sliver when cutting it up. The thrill for me lies in giving it as gifts to people who truly appreciate my 'love offerings'.

I have a batch of cho buttercream to make first thing in the morning to tin up and take for a friend's BD. Going to a luncheon in her honor at a tea room. (hey, HEATHER the Wandering Baker -- we're meeting a Maggie Mae's and eating in the Tuscan Room! ha I haven't been there since I was there with you!)

Anyway, if I ate the candy I wouldn't fit though my door so I understand the dilema all too well!

I'm just grateful my DH doesn't mind paying for all the ingredients. I bought 15 lbs of butter last week! ha

Back