RECIPE: REC: Julia's Cream of Watercress (or Sorrel or Spinach) Soup. I made this last night with sorrel,

RECIPE:

joe

as in the variation, and it was absolutely delicious. My sorrel wasn't very young or tender so I pulled the stems off and blanched it in boiling water first. This could probably be made with any greens. It's pretty simple and it tastes like it contains much more cream than it actually does.

POTAGE CREME DE CRESSON

(Cream of Watercress Soup)

from Mastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia Child

1/3 cup minced green onions

3 Tbs. butter

3 to 4 cups packed cups of fresh water cress leaves and tender stems, washed and dried in a towel

1/2 tsp. salt

3 Tbs. flour

5-1/2 cups boiling chicken stock

2 egg yolks

1/2 cup whipping cream

1 to 2 Tablespoons softened butter

Water cress leaves, for garnish, optional

Cook the onions slowly in butter in a covered saucepan for 5 to 10 minutes, until tender but not browned.

Stir in the water cress and salt, cover and cook slowly for about 5 minutes until tender and wilted.

Sprinkle in the flour and stir over moderate heat for 3 minutes.

Off heat, beat in the boiling stock. Simmer for 5 minutes, then puree through a food mill (I used a blender). Return the soup to the saucepan and correct seasoning. (If not to be served immediately, set aside uncovered. Reheat to simmer before prodeeding.)

Blend the yolks and cream in a mixing bowl. Beat a cupful of the soup into them by dribbles. Gradually beat in the rest of the soup. Return the soup to the saucepan and stir over moderate heat for a minute or two to poach the egg yolks, but do not bring the soup to the simmer.

Off heat, beat in the enrichment butter a tablespoon at a time. (I skipped this step).

Pour the soup into a tureen or soup cups and decorate with the optional watercress leaves.

TO SERVE COLD: Omit the final butter enrichment and chill. If too thick, stir in more cream

VARIATIONS:

Potage Germiny; Potage Creme d'Oseille

(Cream of Sorrel Soup)

Substitute sorrel leave for the water cress.

Potage Creme d'Epinards

(Cream of Spinach soup)

Substitute spinach leaves for the watercress, but cut the leaves into chiffonade (thin slices or shreds). Do not puree the soup

Thanks Moyn! I'd never heard of this. I'm printing it out and will definitely try it.

Back