Red-Chile, Beef and Shiitake Mushroom Stroganoff

wigs

Chile, shiitakes and fresh herbs give this Stroganoff a whole new taste. Either New Mexican Chimayo chile powder OR ancho chile powder, both medium-hot, are good here. You can also use half supermarket chili powder mixed with half paprika. (I personally like the ancho.)

WINE RECOMMENDATION:

Look for a refreshing red wine that will complement the meat and mushrooms but not be overwhelmed by the chile. A young California Rhone-style wine, based on a varietal such as Mourvedre or Grenache, will go nicely, as will a light, young Shiraz from Australia.

(This recipe is taken from an Old FOOD & WINE Cookbook and is attributed to Mike Fennelly, of Mike's On The Avenue.)

Serves 4.

1 pound filet mignon or filet mignon tips

1 Tablespoon cooking oil

2 Tablespoons butter

1 onion, chopped fine

1/2 pound white mushrooms, cut in half

6 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms, stems removed, caps cut in half

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon flour

2/3 cup homemade chicken stock OR good-quality, canned low-sodium chicken broth

1/2 cup heavy cream

2 teaspoons Dijon mustard

1-1/2 teaspoons Chimayo or ancho chile powder, or another medium-hot chile powder (I use ancho.)

1 Tablespoon paprika

1/2 pound wide egg noodles

1/4 cup sour cream

1 Tablespoon chopped fresh dill

1 Tablespoon chopped fresh Italian parsley

1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves, optional (Put in!)

1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1) Cut the filet into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Stack the slices and cut them into 1/2-inch-wide strips. Heat a large nonstick skillet OR cast-iron frying pan over high heat. Toss the meat with the oil and sear, in batches if necessary, until medium rare, about 1 minute per side. Remove from the pan.

2) In a medium frying pan, melt the butter over moderately low heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 5 minutes. Increase the heat to moderate, add the mushrooms and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and cook, stirring, until the mushrooms are well browned, about 20 minutes. Reduce the heat, add the flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.

3) Add the stock, cream, mustard, chile powder, paprika and meat juices, if any. Simmer over low heat until the sauce thickens, about 5 minutes.

4) In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the noodles until just done, about 9 minutes. Drain.

5) Add the meat, sour cream, dill, parsley, thyme, the remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt and the pepper to the sauce. Heat, but DO NOT BOIL, or the sauce may curdle. Serve the sauce over the noodles.

(I first made this for a family holiday gathering a few years ago, and all plates were licked clean. This dish is NOT spicy hot--the chile and herbs give it a wonderful flavor.

After successfully using my family as guinea pigs, I proceeded to cater this entree for a party of 26 by using an entire beef tenderloin of 5.5 pounds + 6 times the remaining ingredients. I received rave reviews from both groups. I made nearly everything ahead (Step 1 through Step 3), and then right before serving, I very slowly reheated the sauce, briefly nuked the seared meat and completed Steps 4 & 5. Delicious! Wigs aka Caryn)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back