3/4 cup finely chopped yellow onion
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 lb. fresh, ripe tomatoes
2 tsp thinly sliced garlic
12 Kalamata olives
1-1/2 tbsp capers
2 lb. red snapper, grouper, or striped bass fillets
salt and freshly ground black pepper

Put the onion and olive oil in a skillet large enough to accommodate the fish fillets in a single layer and place it over medium heat. Saute the onion until it turns a rich golden color.

While the onion is sauteing, peel the tomatoes and, unless they are very ripe and favourful, remove the seeds. Cut them into 1/2 inch dice (I used Roma’s).

When the onion is colored, add the garlic and cook until the water the tomatoes release evaporates by about half, about 10 minutes. Pat’s note: I didn’t cook quite this long, wanted a less-cooked sauce this time.

While the tomatoes cook, slice the olives by cutting the flesh away from the pits. When the tomatoes are done, stir in the olives and capers. Put in the fish fillets and season with salt and pepper. (At this point, I added 2 T. of water). Cover the pan and simmer over medium-low heat. The fish will take about 10 minutes per inch of thickness to cook. When it is about halfway done, turn the fillets over (I didn't do this) and check to se that there is still liquid in the pan (there was). If all the liquid evaporates before the fish is done, add 2 T. of water. The fish is cooked when it flakes easily when prodded with fork. Remove it from the pan with a slotted spatula. If the sauce is too watery, raise the heat to reduce the sauce. Pour the sauce over the fish. Serve it at once. (We spritzed some lemon over each serving at this point - PERFECT!)

Pat’s note: Delicious and very easy. (The notes in parentheses are Deb’s.)

Source: Deb in MI from Every Night Italian by Giuliano Hazan

Deb’s notes: My parents just gave me the cookbook "Every Night Italian" by Giuliano Hazan, Marcella's son. All recipes can be made in 45 minutes or less. We tried this recipe a few days ago and were absolutely thrilled with it. We had to substitute tilapia for the snapper, however, because we couldn't obtain snapper around here. The recipe is extremely easy, yet results in a scrumptious and beautiful entree.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back