Chicken Liver Pate

sylvia

Source: Ron in Worcester
Sylvia's Note: Easy & delicious. This recipe may be halved. I've used Cointreau instead of brandy and added some orange zest.

This one requires a microwave and a food processor, two gadgets that I've owned for more years than I care to think about. I know that it can be prepared "conventionally", but why would I want to do that? In any event, it's a very special recipe--from a very old HP Books microwave cookbook--and it gets raves each and every time I serve it.

1 lb. chicken livers
2 cups chicken broth
2 Tbsp. chopped onion
1/4 cup (1/2 stick/2-oz.) butter, softened
2 Tbsp. mayonnaise
2 Tbsp. brandy
1 tsp. celery salt
1/2 tsp. dry mustard
1/4 tsp. ground thyme
1/4 tsp. ground allspice
4 bay leaves
1/4 cup cranberry-orange relish, drained

Oil a 2-1/2 cup mold or small bowl. Set aside. Pierce livers with large fork. In a deep 2-quart casserole, combine broth, livers and onion. Cover. Microwave at high for 6 to 8 minutes or until boiling. Stir well. Cover. Microwave at 30% for 2 to 3 minutes or until livers are only slightly pink in center. Drain. Using a food processor fitted with a steel blade, process liver mixture until smooth. Add butter, mayonnaise, brandy, celery salt, mustard, thyme and allspice to liver mixture. Process until smooth. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. Arrange bay leaves in bottom of oiled mold or bowl. Pack half of liver mixture in mold/bowl. Make a 1/4-inch hollow in pâté in mold/bowl. Spread drained cranberry-orange relish in hollow. Top with remaining liver mixture. Cover mold/bowl with foil. Refrigerate several hours or overnight. Dip mold/bowl in hot water to remove. If necessary, loosen around edges with a hot knife. Turn mixture out of mold/bowl onto platter. Serve with assorted crackers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back