adapted from my ancient Gourmet Cookbook

INGREDIENTS:

1/2 pint whipping cream

1/2 cup sugar

a 1-inch piece of vanilla bean

1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

2 egg whites

PREPARATION:

Partially whip the cream, add the sugar and beat until the cream holds it's shape (which is more than i'll do if i keep eating this stuff). Scrape the pulp from the vanilla bean (cut in half lengthwise first) and mix with 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract. Stir the vanilla into the whipped cream. Beat until stiff. Set bowl in freezer until egg whites are beaten. Fold in egg whites, beaten until stiff with a pinch of salt (i've had MUCH better luck with an egg beater or even a whisk). Turn the mixture into individual cups (they're making this way to easy for me to construe literally (did i ever tell you about the comic strip where this voluptuous lady tells her date (as they enter her apartment), "excuse me while i change into

something more comfortable." and proceeds to

transmography into an easy chair.)? and freeze the mousse without stirring ("not a creature was stirring, not even a mousse")?

VARIATIONS

Substitute 1 tsp. vanilla extract for bean and extract.

Substitute 1 to 1 1/2 oz. liqueur for the

vanilla.

Grate chocolate over top.

Top with compoted (i KNEW the spell checker would suggest "composted") fruit.

btw, the mousse is much nicer if only frozen

partially.

Mimi's notes: I topped this with a simple sauce made with frozen mixed berries, cranberry juice and a little sugar, boiled until slightly thickened, then cooled. It would have been great just with fresh berries. I thought the mousse was a tad sweet and would try reducing the sugar next time. But it was easy and delicious!

Back