Saturday six (non food related)

mariadnoca

1. Picked up two cat traps and a large dog kennel from animal rescue. A feral cat got into my sunroom and had 5 kittens. Been trying to reach a rescue org for weeks. The kennel is so I can attempt to tame the kittens, because at this late date, they appear to be six weeks, I was told they can’t be adopted. This last part of taming kittens is possibly an insane idea per rescue folks.
  2. Some sort of water line to the washing machine burst. My new plumbing is less than six months old. Didn’t see it till water was pouring out from under the garage door.
  3. Mopped garage as best I could.
  4. Went and got tuna for trap bait. Apparently I was suppose to get the one packed in oil.
  5. Set up trap to get them used to it before setting it for real on Monday, because one of the rescue places (not the one where I got the traps) said they could get mom spayed on Tuesday. 🤞
  6. The grocery store, where I got the tuna also had ice cream, it’s what’s for dinner!
I mentioned all this only to ask if any of you have done trap, spay/neuter feral cats before. I haven’t, and if this family hadn’t taken up residence, inside my patio room, it would not be on my radar. It’s not 1965 anymore where you can actually call someone on the phone about this. You email and see if anyone responds. It took three weeks to get anyone from any rescue organization to reply, and the majority of the information is if you’re willing to do this, we will loan you the traps. You figure out the rest and where to take them. They did send me a bunch of videos to watch, but I’m feeling pretty guilty because mom and I have a bit of a rapport, and I hate the idea of trapping/scaring her. So I just wanted to see if anybody else had done this, and if so, had any words of wisdom.

I have a ferral cat. She comes from a region in Ontario where there are apparently thousands prompting a documentary on them.

Friends 'caught' her, although she seemed to be pretty willing as they were feeding her regularly. I know they just picked her up rather than trapping her. (she had already grown to trust them) They took her to the Hum Soc and she was spayed there. They then brought her to me. She purred so loudly the first night I had her with me, having never been in a home before, obviously thrilled that she was one of the lucky ones, that she started coughing seriously and had to stop. She never purred again until 5 years ago. I suspect it was the tube that had been down her throat that caused the coughing. I was stunned at how well-behaved she has been over the past 12 years. She truly is a sweetheart. She doesn't scratch anything she is not supposed to, never asks for food, just sits by her bowl quietly looking at me. She will eat ONLY cat food. She has to read the label first, just to be sure. It is strange that she will eat nothing else, no cheese, no milk, nothing. She did not speak until recently when I gave her appetite pills; she was not eating. I didn't even know she had a voice. Now I call them meow medicine. But she still doesn't say much.

She lived on a rural highway and apparently saw a lot of her little friends killed on the side of the road. She still, always, runs in when she hears a motorcycle, even though she is not in danger on a balcony.

All of that was about my experience with a truly feral cat and how contrary it is to what others are telling you. I have heard stories hear about shelters not allowing cats to go to homes unless there is a contract to provide them with very specific foods (some of which may not agree with vets' recommendations) and unless balconies are enclosed. I don't know how people get these regulations in their heads when pets are dying for a companion.

As for trapping, I guess you will feel bad about doing it but it must be done. She will be returned to her kittens? or not? You simply must do it. I can't imagine a wild cat needing fussy food. They must all be hungry so why wouldn't some cat food work?

Sorry I don't have help on the trapping. But I thank you for looking after the family. I don't get the bit about the kittens being unadoptable and untrainable. You put a litter box out for them in the kennel and they learn in a hurry.

Also sorry about all that other nonsense. Good thing the burst was not in an upstairs bedroom.

Good luck with the kids.

And thank you Paul, for saving replies that have not been posted, as I lost this one temporarily, right at the end.

Last edited:
A good friend felt bad for a feral cat that was hanging out at her house. She is a dog person, never been a cat person. The cat even scared her husky as well as her. But she decided that she had to at least get it spayed/neutered so she borrowed a trap and trapped it to take to the humane society that has a free spay/neuter program. Well, after that, "Neighborhood Stray Cat" as she called him for years, decided he was HER cat. She even started letting him come in the house, brush his long, thick fur, etc.. They may hiss and claw at you but after they are let out, they get over it pretty quickly.

Update: Well, I successfully trapped them all today. Got lucky on the first try with mom in one and three in the other. The last two were one as a time. I was surprised how easy it was and as soon as you cover the trap they get calm. Mom was picked up this afternoon by a rescue person, will get spayed tomorrow, and comes back to me for release Wednesday. I felt most guilty about her as she’d been trying to work up to trusting me. All the rescues advise not even trying to tame her, that it would be too terrifying for her. However, I will continue to feed and water her outside so if she ever decides to become friendly, it’s an option.

Meanwhile, I have five 6-7 week old kittens in a kennel in the garage. Tomorrow I start my attempt at socializing them, because they’ve never been around people. They’re absolutely terrified of me. To them I’m a predator. And they’re not adoptable unless they’re OK with being around people. (They’d already litter trained themselves when I put a box out for them.) This would be a lot easier if I could bring them in the house, but I have my indoor health compromised cat. So, the option was to either try to socialize them, which by all accounts is going to take weeks if not longer, or have them fixed and released back into the wild with mom. Then I would have six outdoor cats that would require feeding and watering. I’m pretty sure I’m in quite the pickle. Very much so. Wish all of us luck, we’re going to need it!

Did I mention this requires I hand feed them to create trust? So, bringing it back to recipes, I guess this means if you have any cat food recipes, this is the thread to post them. 😺

Back