Sauteed Shrimp with Chardonnay-Dijon Cream Sauce

sylvia

Originally posted by Sandy_in_Philly

Makes 4 Servings

I first served this elegant dish as an appetizer back in the late 1970s when I was the chef at Ma Maison in Hollywood. It was so popular then that people still ask me to cook it for them today at Spago. Everybody loves the combination of the sweet, plump, moist shrimp and the creamy mustard. If they knew how easy it is, they might stay home and cook it for themselves! Even a beginner can succeed with this dish. You can serve the shrimp as a starter, or with rice or pasta as a main dish.

1 pound medium or extra-large shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails removed

Kosher salt and freshly ground white pepper

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

1 cup Chardonnay or dry sherry

½ cup heavy cream

1 tablespoon Dijon mustard or whole grain mustard

Chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley for garnish

Rice or pasta for serving as a main dish

1. Pat the shrimp dry, put them on a plate, and sprinkle lightly with salt and white pepper to taste. Heat a large, heavy sauté pan over medium-high heat. As soon as the pan feels hot when you hold your hand an inch or two above its surface, add the oil. When the oil is hot enough to swirl easily in the pan, carefully add the shrimp, placing them evenly in the pan. Without disturbing them, cook the shrimp for 2 minutes on one side. With tongs, a fork, or a small spatula, flip the shrimp over and cook them until they are uniformly pink and beginning to curl, about 2 minutes more. Transfer the shrimp from the pan to a platter and cover with aluminum foil to keep them warm.

2. Raise the heat under the pan to high. Add the wine and, with a wooden spoon, stir and scrape to dissolve the pan deposits. Let the liquid simmer until it has reduced in volume by half, 4 to 7 minutes. Reduce the heat and stir in the cream. Reduce slightly and stir in the mustard. Continue simmering until the sauce is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 5 minutes more. Taste the sauce and adjust the seasoning if necessary.

3. Add the shrimp and parsley to the sauce and simmer briefly to heat up the shrimp. Serve with rice or pasta, or on its own as a starter.

Wolfgang’s Easy Tips:

Make sure everything is ready and at arm’s reach before you start cooking this recipe.

Use a large sauté pan with a thick bottom and make sure the heat is high enough when you begin. High, even heat cooks the shrimp quickly, keeping them plump, firm, and sweet-tasting.

The mustard not only gives the sauce a lot of flavor, but also contributes to its thick, smooth texture. Be careful to reduce the heat when you add the mustard so that it does not boil but only simmers, or the mustard will turn grainy and lose its delicate flavor.

In place of parsley you can use finely chopped fresh tarragon, basil, chives, or a mix. Always add the herbs at the very end, and avoid cooking them to keep their bright green color.

Wolfgang Puck Makes It Easy: Deliciously Simple Recipes for Your Home Kitchen, Rutledge Hill Press

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

My Notes:

This recipe was on my back burner for too long (along with 500,000,000,001 other ones).

I halved the recipe using 11 oz. of frozen 31/40 count shrimp to yield 8 oz. using my scale. I finally wrote down this rule of thumb! I used French Chardonnay. I thought this dish deserved good pasta so I used fresh store-bought linguine. You won’t get a lot of sauce from this recipe but it really is good and will permeate your pasta or rice.

I saved the shrimp shells for stock so that I can double the sauce next time or use for another recipe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back