Smoked Salmon Pinwheels

joe

SMOKED SALMON PINWHEELS

From Classic Home Cooking by Mary Berry and Marlena Speiler

A spinach soufflé rolled up with smoked salmon and seasoned cream cheese. A thin layer of tomatoes contrasts the richness of the filling. It’s beautiful when sliced. It’s intended to be plated as a starter, but for hors d’oeuvres I've rolled the roulade lengthwise o make smaller slices.

Serves 4-6. Start the day before serving.

Roulade:

1 Tbs. butter
1 garlic clove, crushed
5 cups fresh spinach leaves, cooked, squeezed and chopped
4 eggs, separated
1 tsp. chopped fresh rosemary
A pinch of nutmeg
Salt and pepper

Filling:

3/4 cup plus 2 Tbs. cream cheese
3 Tbs. yogurt
4 scallions, thinly sliced
¼ lb. sliced smoked salmon (I use more)
2 ripe tomatoes, thinly sliced (I use one large one, chopped and drained on paper towels)

A 13-x-9” jelly roll pan

Parchment paper

Salad greens and lemon slices to garnish

Line the jelly roll pan with a sheet of parchment paper, cutting the corners so that it fits snugly. Preheat the oven to 375°F.

Put the butter into a saucepan, add the garlic, and cook gently until the butter melts. Remove for heat. Stir in the spinach.

Add the egg yolks, rosemary and nutmeg and beat into the spinach mixture. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

In another bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff but not dry. Stir 2-3 spoonfuls into the mixture, then fold in the rest.

Spread the soufflé mixture in the jelly roll pan, and bake for 10-12 minutes, until the mixture feels firm. Remove from the oven, cover with a damp dish towel, and leave to cool.

Meanwhile, make the filling: in a medium bowl, beat together the cream cheese and yogurt until smooth, then stir the scallions into the mixture.

Turn out the cooked roulade and peel off the paper. Arrange slices of smoked salmon on top, leaving a 1-inch border on each side. Spread the cream cheese filling over the smoked salmon, using a spatula. Arrange the tomato slices over half of the cream cheese filling.

Roll up the roulade, starting at the end where the tomato slices have been placed. Wrap the roulade in foil, then in a damp dish towel, and chill overnight.

To serve, trim off the hard edges of the roulade, cut into thick slices, and arrange on a serving platter. Garnish with salad greens and lemon slices.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back