So we had a 12 hr power failure…and I guess I have to toss everything in the fridge?

mariadnoca

I’ve never actually looked up what I should toss, just basically went by if it’s milk, meat and leftovers, for sure toss. But I guess I’ve been living in the danger zone because I don’t think I’ve ever tossed cheese and eggs. I grabbed a soda 8 hours in and it was nearly ice cold. (I think everything in the freezer will be good as it was full.)

This pretty much followed the same guidelines as cdc (which I thought, well they are just going to say toss everything because lawsuits).

Sounds like I can keep mustard 🫤

I do feel lucky as lots of neighborhoods and traffic signals near by aren't expected to get power till Saturday. Everything, including cellphones, went down on big wind Tuesday.

Nor I. I tended to move a few frozen things, big things, into the frig to help it and then never opened the door again. But I doubt that you need to throw out much.

I've lost power for a day or more, though, and had to toss lots from the freezer.

When we had a BIG hurricane =no power for 2 weeks!!--the freezers really got emptied. Fortunately I could take mine (and I had 2 big freezers) to my in-laws for storage. It was common when that happened that whole neighborhoods would have a big BBQ to use up stuff. Community pride!!

BTW....after the big loss, I discovered that I could have claimed it all on my home insurance with no deductible. I learned too late, however.

BTW....after the big loss, I discovered that I could have claimed it all on my home insurance with no deductible. I learned too late, however.
That’s good to know! I didn't lose a freezer full of food or anything enough to claim, but I am going to need to put in a homeowner claim for wind damages. And the power failed again (!) tonight for 3.5 hours. Same block of customers only more (33k) than last time. And we lost cell reception again like last time. Neighbors and I made the best of it and played cards.

Hi Maria,

I hope you've got your electricity back. My friend in Los Gatos didn't lose theirs, but several friends around them did. Right now they're worrying about trees falling down on the houses.

I do have electricity…today. Another storm is coming in. I’m glad your friend hasn’t lost power, but I hope they are prepared. So many trees are unstable because how wet the ground is they are sending in tree crews ahead of the electric company before restoring power. Saratoga, the town right next to Los Gatos had a massive power failure Thursday, a bright sunny day where trees just gave up and fell. I’m very close to both those towns and some here still don’t have it back on since Tuesday. So, feel lucky.

Back