Strawberry-Pineapple Jam

richard-in-cincy

I added some jars of this to my cherry jam I made earlier. Wow, is this stuff ever yummy! And beautiful! I saw the recipe on the pectin insert when I made the cherry jam and knew I wanted to try it.

Next up will be peach jam when the peaches are ripe.

It truly is amazing how much better homemade jam is than the stuff in the stores.

Anyone have any unusual jam recipes (combos, heirloom, etc.)?

I've been making a mix of blueberry and blackberry jelly. I now have some blueberries

and think I'll make a combo blueberry peach preserve.
I know people have added chipotle to peach jam--and bourbon. They could make nice glazes for grilled meats.

I have a cherry chipotle sauce recipe

if you would like that. It came originally from a chatter on Gail's Recipe Swap - Tim, from the UK gave it to me.

Another winner that I have not made in a few years is Apricot Jalapeno jelly that can also be altered to use chipotles instead of the fresh peppers.

Thanks for the ideas.

The jams I make are used for torte fillings, Austrian jam sandwich cookies for Christmas, flavoring homemade joghurt, hot toddies, ice cream toppings, and the like. So I will probably steering away from the chili flavored jams. smileys/smile.gif

REC: Cherry Chipotle Sauce

* Exported from MasterCook *

Cherry Chipotle Sauce

Recipe By :Tim, Epi chatter from UK
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :1:00
Categories : Condiments And Marinades Sauces
Tried & True

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

1 1/4 Pounds Sweet Cherries -- pitted
4 Chipotle Peppers -- see notes
4 Cloves Garlic -- chopped
1/8 Teaspoon Dried Oregano
1/8 Teaspoon Dried Thyme
Pinch Cumin Seed -- crushed
1 Bay Leaf
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 Cup Cider Vinegar
1/4 Cup Dark Brown Sugar
1 Teaspoon Sea Salt -- or to taste

Soakthe chipotles in boiling water for 30 minutes (if dried), or less if simply frozen. Drain and deseed, then puree with the garlic, herbs, cumin and cherries. (don't puree the bay leaf)
Heat the oil, fry the puree in the oil for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Add remaining ingredients, bring to a boil, and simmer for 30 minutes, until quite syrupy.
Place into clean, sterilized jars while still hot, and seal. It can be kept in the refrigerator for several months like this, or for longer storage, or pantry storage, process in boiling water bath for 20 minutes.
Use as a glaze for grilled pork, or as a relish for any cold roasted meat. The creator also suggests that it is remarkably good over ice cream!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 938 Calories; 32g Fat (28.1% calories from fat); 10g Protein; 173g Carbohydrate; 14g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 1919mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 4 Vegetable; 5 1/2 Fruit; 5 1/2 Fat; 4 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : I used frozen home-smoked chipotles. 4 made a sauce with quite a bite, but not intolerable.

REC: Apricot Chipotle Jelly

* Exported from MasterCook *

Apricot-Chipotle Jelly

Recipe By :Judy Nevius
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Canning, Preserves, Etc. Condiments And Marinades
Jams & Jellies Tried & True

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

2 Large Red Bell Peppers -- stemmed & seeded
3 Or 4 Chipotle Peppers (See Note) -- stemmed & seeded
2 Cups Cider Vinegar
1 1/2 Cups Dried Apricots -- chopped
6 Cups Sugar
3 Ounces Liquid Pectin
4 Drops Red Food Coloring -- optional

Put the bell peppers and finely chopped chipotles into a blender of food processor with half the vinegar. Puree or pulse until coarsely ground with small chunks remaining.

Place the pureed peppers and the remaining vinegar, apricots, and sugar into a large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Boil rapidly for 5 minutes. Remove from heat; skim off any foam that forms.

Allow mixture to cool for 2 minutes. Then mix in pectin and food coloring if you are using it.

Pour into sterilized jars and seal. (I processed the sealed jars in a water-bath for 10 minutes.) Cool.

Yield is about 7 half-pint jars.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 5240 Calories; 1g Fat (0.2% calories from fat); 9g Protein; 1363g Carbohydrate; 22g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 41mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 1/2 Vegetable; 8 Fruit; 82 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : I did not use canned chipotles in adobo, rather I used ones I'd smoked and then frozen. Quantity is a matter of taste, and how hot your peppers are. 4 will make a pretty hot jelly.

Something that is good for an appy with chevre is green tomato jam.

It is dead easy to make and requires no pectin! I have flavored it with saffron in one, vanilla in another. It can be interesting.

Interesting, I just found another recipe for similar last night..

I'm reading through the old Duncan Hines cookbook from the 1950's and there are all sorts of wild jam recipes (as well as other recipes). This is an old antique cookbook Cathy Z has in her collection and after looking at it at her house, I found a copy through Abe Books.

Here's a sampling of the jams:
Spiced Blackberry
Gooseberry
Peach-Cantaloupe-Walnut
Peach-Grape-Orange-Plum
Rhubarb-Pineapple-Raisin-Pecan

Seriously, uh, no...

I love chili. I love sweets. But never shall the twain meet.

I've tried all the chili flavored chocolates, jams, beers, wines, etc. etc.

It's just something I do not care for.

Seriously, uh, no...

I love chili. I love sweets. But never shall the twain meet.

I've tried all the chili flavored chocolates, jams, beers, wines, etc. etc.

It's just something I do not care for.
Try Gayle/MO caramels and peanut brittle with about 1/8th tsp cayenne pepper. It’s so subtle and the heat creeps up on you but it isn’t very hot. Both recipes on their own are outstanding. Kudos to Gayle.

Back