The Met's Coffee/Crumb Cake - Anyone have similar recipe?

music-city-missy

OMG - maybe it was because we weren't expecting much because we had eaten (out of desperation) an expensive but disappointing lunch in their large dining area before, but this was the most incredible piece of cake that I must figure out how to make. We are still in NY and I have been trying every piece of coffee/crumb cake/muffin I can find and they are all completely different than this was. It is more like a really good dense but moist pound cake with a great cinnamon sugar swirl with a crumb topping that was about half as thick as the cake but not packed so tightly that it was "hard" like most. I have emailed them to see if I can get the recipe. The cafe is probably outsourced but I haven't been able to find out who runs it yet. We leave Tuesday and I am tempted to see if I can get in without paying an admission just to go get every slice they have out. I can't remember when I have been this obsessed.

MCM, I'm attaching a photo from Country Cooks (downhome version of Cooks Illustrated) of their New Jersey Crumb Buns. It's baked like a cake, but has a yeasted dough base and a very thick streusel crumb topping.

The topping may match but you said pound cake-ish and this is yeast-based, so I don't have much hope. But I'm attaching it anyway. Apparently this is a famous cake in NJ and Hackensack in particular. Let me know if you need more details.

Good luck and enjoy your visit!

MUSEUMThursday–Monday, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.(Closed Tuesday and Wednesday)SHOPSThursday–Monday, 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.(Closed Tuesday and Wednesday)The Book Store and Design Shop remain open onlineseven days a week and offer curbside pick-up by appointment.SHOP ONLINEDININGThursday–Sunday, 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.Monday, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.(Closed Tuesday and Wednesday)LEARN MORE ADMISSIONNow through November 7, 2021, the Neue Galerie is offering Pay-What-You-Wish admission. “Austrian Masterworks from the Neue Galerie” will be on view, however, other galleries will be closed as we prepare for an upcoming special exhibition. Advance reservations and timed ticketing are not available during this time.

This is the Foster's Market crumb cake in Durham--I can't call the chef's name but she is famous. It is supposed to be REALLY good--and different. It sort of has the look of what you described.

https://www.fostersmarket.com/new-yorkstyle-crumb-cake

The intro--We’ve served this rich breakfast cake since we opened, for all the New York transplants and homesick Duke students. It’s great with morning coffee. As you make this, you’ll think you have too much topping and not enough crust. Don’t worry: that is how the cake should look.Makes 2 dozen 2½ by 3-inch pieces

Hi MCM

Hope you're enjoying NYC. You got lucky with the weather, for the most part. :)

They may very well get their coffee cake from this bakery. It's about 12 miles from NY and is the "gold standard" for crumb cake in NJ. People line up for a block for holidays. This photo is completely representative of their everyday crumb cake. You can Uber scoot out of the city very early AM and get back in before the crazy weekday traffic starts. Should be NP on a Sunday. Sorry, was on a business trip this week. Wish I saw this sooner!

https://www.bandwbakery.com/hours

Thanks everyone. I have some testing to do. We are headed home now and I saw crumb cake at one of the airport food vendors that looked close to The Met's so I got it and it's not bad. We did have three weeks of great weather. We bounced all over the place this time. Stayed in Chelsea right across from FIT and right by subway which was good with me walking in a boot with a broken toe. First broken bone I have ever had and it happened two days before we left. Only thing was how noisy the apartment was. Just in general and SO much street racing at 2am in the mornings! That has gotten bad in a lot of cities.

Back