Who am I?

desertjean

I started posting at Gails and the chat as a military wife while my son was in kindergarten. He’s now a senior and my husband retired from the Navy, how times change. Being unsure of the internet, I posted under “jean/NC” due to there being several jeans at the time (btw, jean is my middle name). While on the East Coast I met some of the original epi-folks.

In 2000 the Navy sent us cross country to the desert for our last assignment, which was fine with us. I never want to see a hurricane again! I grew up in Iowa, with a mother who believed that convenience food and sliced bread were sent from heaven. On a creative day she would add chili powder to whatever she was cooking and call it home made. Hubby grew up around the corner and we married shortly after he joined the Navy.

Traveling the country (with my KitchenAid in the back seat...never trust military movers) and the internet, we’ve picked up what our families call strange food habits over the years. After one weeklong stay in Shamrock TX due to a blizzard we no longer attempted trips home for the holidays (the Navy frowns on it when you are late getting back, even when Mother Nature shuts down the Interstate ) and a family of three can only eat so much turkey between Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter, so we shook it up a bit. We picked and celebrated a different country each Christmas (sometimes feeding 30 people) and make bunny shaped pizzas for Easter. Our son will have fun explaining these traditions to future in-laws.

And now we live in a desert in the middle of nowhere, enjoying civilian life. What a long trip from my original postings!

Thank you, Mimi, for giving us this great, well monitored, place to post.

Back