A Fall Menu (Worked well for me)

sylvia

Sunday’s Menu

This menu worked very well for me this past Sunday when we were 6 for a midday dinner. I was pleased at how well the flavours all seemed to compliment each other. Much of the menu can be done in advance, a great plus for me.

Shrimp & Cocktail Sauce

Frico

Fig & Black Olive Tapenade on Goat Cheese Brie with assorted crackers on the side

Nirvana Soup

Chicken with Sherry and Mushrooms

Roasted Small Potatoes

Sautéed Green Beans & Almonds

Salad with Sherry Vinaigrette

Apple ‘N Cheese Torte

We enjoyed Louis Bernard Cote du Rhone throughout. (white wine)

Parmesan Crisps and Baskets (Frico)

(For this meal I just used Asiago cheese and baked the Frico for 9 minutes @ 370˚ F.)

8 ounces freshly grated Parmesan-Reggiano, Montasio, or Asiago cheese*

1/4 teaspoon black pepper (optional)

* Use a stainless-steel grater, preferably one with small perforations or slits of half-moon-like cutting edges using largest holes.

Preheat oven to 350˚ degrees F. Place oven rack in the middle of the oven. Line a lightly greased baking sheet with parchment paper or line a large baking sheet with a nonstick liner (such as a silpat). NOTE: I prefer using the silpat.

Spoon level tablespoon-size mounds 4-inches apart on baking sheet; gently spread or pat mounds into 3 1/2-inch long ovals in an even thickness with your fingers. NOTE: If you make them too thick they will be chewy rather than crispy, and if you brown them too much they will taste bitter. I also find it easier to make a small batch at a time, 6 to 8 on a baking sheet. This allows me to work with them while they are still warm.

Bake approximately 4 to 5 minutes or until cheese is melted and any bubbles that form turn into a crunchy light golden crust. Your wafers should be golden in color and lacy in appearance.

Remove from oven and cool crisps completely on baking sheet. Remove crisps carefully with thin metal spatula to paper towels to drain.

Store between layers of wax paper in an airtight container at room temperature for up to one week.

VARIATIONS:

Rosemary Parmesan Crisps - Add 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh rosemary leaves to the grated parmesan cheese.

Cumin Parmesan Crisps - Add 1 teaspoon cumin, caraway, or fennel seeds.

Nut Parmesan Crisps - Sprinkle the top of each cheese circle with a little chopped nuts (of your choice). Bake as above.

Goat Cheese Mousse

6 ounces Goat cheese

1/4 cup heavy cream

1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped fine

2 1/2 teaspoon fresh Italian flat parsley, chopped fine*

Coarse salt to taste

Freshly-ground black pepper to taste

* In the Springtime, when my herbs are in bloom, I substitute the fresh parsley for a combination of lavender flowers, garlic flowers, and basil flowers. Be creative!

Blend all ingredients together until smooth. Refrigerate until ready to use.

Fig & Olive Tapenade

http://dinnerwithjulie.com/

half a 250 g package of dried figs

1/2 cup pitted Kalamata olives

1/2 cup walnuts, toasted

1 Tbsp. capers, drained

1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar

1 Tbsp. olive or canola oil

a few sprigs of fresh thyme or one of rosemary, leaves pulled off the stems

Add lemon zest if you’d like.

Make sure your dried figs are nice and plump; if not, pour boiling water over them and let them sit for 20 minutes or so, then drain them well. Put everything into a food processor and pulse until as chunky or finely blended as you like; add a little extra oil if you need some more liquid to help move it along.

Serve over a block of either cream cheese or feta. (I served it over goat cheese brie.)

Makes almost 2 cups; will keep in the fridge for a week or so. It freezes very well.

Nirvana Soup (Very yum)

Smells Like Butternut Squash, Apple And Pear Soup

3 Tbsp butter

2 huge White onions, chopped

2 lbs butternut squash, peeled and chopped

2 apples, peeled, cored and quartered

1 Asian Pear

2 qts vegetable or chicken stock

1/4 tsp tarragon

1/2 cup dry vermouth (I used dry sherry.)

1 cup heavy cream

salt, black pepper and white pepper

Garnish:

5 tsp fresh chives, chopped

sour cream

Melt butter in a deep skillet over a low flame. Sauté the onions, squash, apples and pear in the butter until tender. (I cooked the squash in the microwave and added it to the stock.) Add the stock, tarragon, salt and white pepper to your liking. Bring the whole concoction to a boil then cover and simmer over a low flame until the squash and apples are fully cooked (approximately 5 minutes). Remove from heat and puree in a food processor until creamy. Then, stir in the cream and the vermouth. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve hot with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of chives.

Chicken with Sherry and Mushrooms Makes 4 - 6 servings.

A Homemaker’s Magazine Recipe

Cooking time: about 1 hour; reheating 45 minutes

This version of coq au vin uses dry sherry for a very smooth flavour. Ideal for a buffet dinner. It’s best made a day ahead. Serve with crusty bread for mopping up the delicious juices.

2 slices bacon, chopped

2 cloves garlic, minced

1 large onion, chopped

3 large carrots, chopped

1 tbsp. vegetable oil

2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs

1/4 cup all purpose flour

1 cup chicken stock

1/2 cup dry sherry

1/2 lb mushrooms, quartered

1 tsp dried thyme

1 bay leaf

Salt & Pepper

1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley

In Dutch oven or large, heavy saucepan over medium high heat, cook bacon about 1 minute. Stir in garlic, onions and carrots. Cook, covered, about 5 minutes or until onion is softened. Remove vegetables and set aside. Add oil to pan.

Dust chicken lightly with flour and brown on all sides. Return vegetables to pan. Add stock, sherry, mushrooms, thyme and bay leaf. Bring to boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer stirring occasionally, for 50 to 60 minutes or until chicken is tender. Add salt and pepper to taste. Let cool; cover and refrigerate for 4 to 24 hours.

Skim any fat from surface. Transfer to baking dish and bake in 350˚F oven for about 45 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with parsley.

Per serving (for 4) 454 calories

Salad with Sherry Vinaigrette

Assorted greens & sherry vinaigrette

Sherry Vinaigrette

1/3 cup Sherry Vinegar

1 tsp. Dijon Mustard

1 tbsp honey

2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil

Blend vinegar, mustard and honey until combined. Slowly add evoo. Add salt and pepper to taste.

APPLE 'N CHEESE TORTE

BASE

1/2 cup (125 ml) butter softened

1/3 cup (75 ml) granulated sugar

1 cup (250 ml) All Purpose Flour

1/3 cup (75 ml) raspberry or apricot jam

FILLING

1 pkg. 8 oz. (250 gr.) Philadelphia, Cream Cheese softened

1/4 cup (50 ml) granulated sugar

1 egg

1 tsp. (5 ml) vanilla

TOPPING

3 cups (759 ml) peeled, thinly sliced apples

1/3 cup (75 ml) granulated sugar

1/2 tsp. (2 ml) cinnamon

1/2 cup (125) sliced almonds

Cream butter and sugar together thoroughly. Blend in flour. Press evenly onto bottom and 1 1/2 (3.5 cm) up sides of 8 1/2 " (22 cm) springform pan. Bake for 15 - 20 minutes at 300˚F. Let cool. Spread jam evenly over bottom of crust. Beat all filling ingredients with electric mixer until smooth and light. Spread over jam. Toss apples, sugar and cinnamon together to coat well. Spoon over filling. Sprinkle with almonds. Bake at 450˚F (230°C) for 10 minutes then reduce heat to 400°F (200 °C) for 25 to 30 minutes or until set and apples are tender. Cool slightly then remove from pan.

Sylvia ‘s Notes: I used low fat cheese with good success. This torte does not freeze well. Best eaten the same day it is baked. Or, if you want to make this a day ahead, leave off the almonds. Brown and sprinkle the almonds onto the torte just before serving.

A Robin Hood Flour Recipe

Back