A REQUEST: When you post a recipe and give a baking temp & time if...

luisa_calif

you have made any adjustments for cooking/baking the item in a convection oven could you please include that? I have a new oven and am new to convection baking. I have made adjustments as advised--25 degrees less or 10% less time, but if you have successfully baked a particular recipe in a convection oven, could you note the time/temp changes that so I can cut down on the experimenting? I know ovens vary but it still would be helpful. TIA

Hi Luisa - I'll try to remember to post the convection adjustments....

I do a lot of baking, so I usually lower the temperature about 10º - 15º, not the 25º recommended.

I have an oven thermometer, and when I lower the temp, it usually reads what it was supposed to be.

For example, if the recipe says 350º, I turn it to 335 or 340, convect, and by the time its heated, my oven thermometer says it's 350º.

Could just be the calibration of my oven is off, but it seems to work.

As far as the timing, I usually bake it for the low end of the given range (which pretty much works out to the 10%).

I only put two sheets in the oven at a time, and I don't have to rotate or switch the racks. There is a small difference in cookies between the front/back and the upper/lower racks, but not enough to warrant moving them around.

I haven't really used the convection feature for longer baking/roasting much.

Hope this helps smileys/smile.gif

Back