A surprisingly good box mix: White Lily Lemon Pound Cake Mix

marilynfl

While cake mixes are fine, I've never used a muffin/scone/cookie dry mix that didn't leave behind an off-taste. (Okay...that's a lie. I think StoneWall had a scone mix that worked but it was $7.99 for the mix). I've thought it might be the dry fat ingredient, but honestly, don't know. It could be preservatives or non-clumping additives...whatever, most mixes don't work for me.

But this one did. While the title says "pound cake" the side recipe requires two boxes of the mix to make "a pound cake.' As is, the box made a 8x4" loaf pan and I can honestly say it was perfectly fine. The only tiny addition I made was an 1/8 tsp of Boyajian lemon oil in the batter and the same amount in the glaze--mainly because I always assume there won't be enough lemon tang for my tastes.

I baked it for a CPA who reviewed my taxes and then didn't charge me, so I thanked him in calories...but forgot to take a photo before delivering it. The actual bread crumb looks exactly like the image on the box.

The only other slight issue was the glaze should have needed 1-1.5 TBL of water to thin, but it took almost 3 TBL before I achieved a suitable glazing thinness.

I've never seen this before, but will buy a few boxes now, as stuff tends to disappear just when I decide I like it.
Also, While Lily is a company that is known for soft southern flour, so it might not be available everywhere.

IMG_8060.jpg

Last edited:
White lily…my personal baking holy grail. We don’t have it on the west coast and I don’t make biscuits often enough to pay for shipping it. Not that I make biscuits, with our flour they come out like lead. So, I only think I could make biscuit’s…someday, sure I could, if only I had the right flour.

Marilyn, we bought some Boyajian lemon oil for the wedding cake frosting. I had eyed it for years but never had a reason to buy it. So ambrosial!!

Back