Another NYTimes recipe: Gochujang Potato Stew

marilynfl

First off, a couple of comments from the commenters:
  1. Gochujang comes in MILD and HOT versions. Be wary of which one you buy/use.
  2. Do not automatically use 3 TBL as per the recipe. Start with 1 TBL and add more at the end after tasting it. For example, the one I have (from an Oriental grocery store) is spicy, but I now use 1/2 the amount and that works for me. Full disclosure, I didn't practice this until I learned what is too hot.
  3. Trader Joes has a good version that is not too spicy
  4. Substitute frozen spinach if you don't have kale.
  5. Several people were concerned about the resulting salt level since many of the ingredients have salt.
  6. One person found out that Gochujang has gluten in it--to the detriment of her partner who can not have gluten.
  7. Many said to definitely add the (optional) sour cream at the end as a balance to the spice level. Definitely serve over rice (which is odd and not something I would normally do: rice served with potatoes? Two starches? One under the other...the mind boggles.)

(With my NYTimes subscription, I can "gift" 10 recipes a month. So I will until I can't)

First off, a couple of comments from the commenters:
  1. Gochujang comes in MILD and HOT versions. Be wary of which one you buy/use.
  2. Do not automatically use 3 TBL as per the recipe. Start with 1 TBL and add more at the end after tasting it. For example, the one I have (from an Oriental grocery store) is spicy, but I now use 1/2 the amount and that works for me. Full disclosure, I didn't practice this until I learned what is too hot.
  3. Trader Joes has a good version that is not too spicy
  4. Substitute frozen spinach if you don't have kale.
  5. Several people were concerned about the resulting salt level since many of the ingredients have salt.
  6. One person found out that Gochujang has gluten in it--to the detriment of her partner who can not have gluten.
  7. Many said to definitely add the (optional) sour cream at the end as a balance to the spice level. Definitely serve over rice (which is odd and not something I would normally do: rice served with potatoes? Two starches? One under the other...the mind boggles.)

(With my NYTimes subscription, I can "gift" 10 recipes a month. So I will until I can't)
I buy gochujang from H-Mart, and they carry gluten free versions.

Back