Another winner from ATK's The Savory Baker: Fresh Tomato Galette

marilynfl

Thank goodness someone in the Interverse already wrote this up. Apparently it was in ATK's Cook’s Country Magazine August/September 2019, so the Savory Baker book must be a compilation of CI and CC and ATK recipes.

Anyway, I'll put my notes at the bottom....there will be many.

Galette dough:​

• 1 ½ cups (7½ ounces) all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp table salt
  • 10 tablespoons unsalted butter cut into ½-inch pieces and chilled
  • 3-6 TBL ice water

For the filling:​

• 1 ½ pounds mixed tomatoes cored and sliced ¼ inch thick (I used large heirloom tomatoes)
  • 1 shallot sliced thin
  • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
  • 1 garlic clove minced
  • ¼ teaspoon pepper
  • 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
  • 3 ounces Gruyère cheese shredded (¾ cup)
  • 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

Egg wash:​

• 1 large egg lightly beaten

For the garnish:​

• 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil

Instructions​

For the dough:​

• Process flour and ½ teaspoon salt in food processor until combined, about 3 seconds.

Scatter butter over top and pulse until mixture resembles coarse crumbs, about 10 pulses. Transfer to large bowl.
    Sprinkle 3+ tablespoons ice water over flour mixture.

Using a rubber spatula, stir and press dough until it sticks together, adding up to 1 tablespoon more ice water if dough doesn't come together.

NOTE: Don't get discouraged if the dough seems hard to work with. You don't want a lot of powdered/dry flour, but you want it just moist enough that when you press it together it stick. I ended up using 7 Tablespoons of ice water. The dough will hydrate during the hour it spends in the fridge.

• Turn out dough onto lightly floured counter, form into 4-inch disk, wrap tightly in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 1 hour. (Wrapped dough can be refrigerated for up to 2 days or frozen for up to 1 month.)

Prepare the tomatoes:​

• Toss tomatoes and 1 teaspoon salt together in second large bowl. Transfer tomatoes to colander and set colander in sink. Let tomatoes drain for 30 minutes.
  • Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 375 degrees.

Line rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.

Roll the dough:​

• Let chilled dough sit on counter to soften slightly, about 10 minutes, before rolling. Roll dough into 12-inch circle on lightly floured counter, then transfer to prepared sheet (dough may run up lip of sheet slightly; this is OK).

For the filling:​

• Shake colander well to rid tomatoes of excess juice. NOTE: I used my salad spinner to gently remove excess moisture– and a LOT came out!

Combine tomatoes, shallot, oil, thyme, garlic, pepper, and remaining ½ teaspoon salt in now-empty bowl.

Spread mustard over dough, leaving 1½-inch border.

Sprinkle Gruyère in even layer over mustard.

Shingle tomatoes and shallot on top of Gruyère in concentric circles, keeping within 1½-inch border. Sprinkle Parmesan over tomato mixture.
  • Carefully grasp 1 edge of dough and fold up about 1 inch over filling. Repeat around circumference of tart, overlapping dough every 2 inches, gently pinching pleated dough to secure.

Brush folded dough with egg (you won't need it all).

Bake:​

• Bake until crust is golden brown and tomatoes are bubbling, 45 to 50 minutes. Transfer sheet to wire rack and let galette cool for 10 minutes. Using metal spatula, loosen galette from parchment and carefully slide onto wire rack; let cool until just warm, about 20 minutes. Sprinkle with basil. Cut into wedges and serve.

Marilyn's Notes:

Galette Dough:
Important! The Cook's Country version does NOT mention the fraisage step--dumping the clumping dough out onto floured surface and smearing it with the palm of your hand to make long thin sheets. This ends up making lots of flaky layers! I wish now I'd taken a photo of all the crumbs left after this morning's treat. Maybe ATK added this step for the book? I followed the method and highly suggest it. Dump, smear, pull together, smear, pull together into a 6" disk. Wrap. Refrigerate until ready to use. Also, the galette recipe in Savory Baker only calls for 3-6 TBL of ice water. I used 4 TBL and my dough clumped sufficiently to do the fraisage step. The Cook's Country version used 7 TBLs and no fraisage. Less water = better crust. This is better.

Tomatoes:
Two weeks ago I was gifted with fifteen 3" tomatoes after volunteering at a church pantry garden. They were firm but very flavorful. This past Sunday I sliced them 1/2" inch (about 5 slices per tomato, lightly salted) and roasted at 225 degree for 1.5 hours. The peels lifted right off. I put the roasted tomato slices in a container and, throughout the week, drained any accumulating liquid. I'd say almost an entire cup of watery liquid leached out--all of which makes it better suited for a pie crust.

Shallot:
I decided to use onion jam rather than sliced shallots. No reason other than I like onion jam.

Other stuff:
I left out the garlic because I'm me and I could.
I prepped everything ahead of time: Dough rolled out, folded in half and in the refrigerator the night before. Onion jam ready. Cheeses were shredded, thyme leaves were plucked, mustard was measure out. So it took less than 10 minutes to prep the galette for the oven this morning. Oh! And I set my oven to turn on at 5 AM because I knew I wanted to start baking at 6:00 AM and it takes forever to heat up.

None of this is necessary...I just had to leave for class at 7:45 and wanted to show up with warm pie.

I wanted two pies for Master Gardening class and was going to bake them together on a large cookie sheet, but felt I should use a baking stone as ATK recommended. Very glad I did. Mine took 45 minutes.

Final note: I had a last piece of galette around 11 AM. The gruyere had chilled and hardened and the overall taste wasn't as good in my opinion. So I'd recommend this warm or at room temperature, but not cold. But then again, there are folks out there who eat cold pizza for breakfast so who am I to challenge that.

I also made a double batch of Cafe Beaujolais Buttermilk Coffee Cake with extra dark chocolate/hazelnut candy pieces added to the topping.
Folks were happy. I just mailed out both recipes to 4 class mates.

First galette: onion jam on top:
IMG_7627.JPG

This is the second galette getting ready for the oven. I wasn't crazy about how dark the onions looked so I put the onions on the gruyere layer underneath the tomatoes.
IMG_7628.JPG

PS: A local lunch spot sells "home-made tomato pie" to go: $20 per pie. I tasted a slice and it didn't hold a candle to this.

PPS: Fun fact: the tomatoes the church pantry gave me had been donated to THEM from the Haywood County Extension crop testing office--which is the organization teaching my Master Gardener class. THEY GREW the tomatoes 100 feet from where we ate them, so it seem appropriate Mr. Tomato came home to roost...or roast, as it were.

Last edited:
Beautiful Marilyn!! I make a very similar galette and/or tomatoe pie. Only difference is I add some honey to the dijon

Yes, very beautiful. I think I actually made this, enjoyed it, but also added some Nicoise olives to the top.

Back