Anyone have paw paws

charley2

My dear sister loved paw paws and in Ohio searched for them and finally planted a tree I think. DD found some here and shared some with me. I had never had one although knew about them and, of course, the song. They are incredible. The seeds are prodigious but the interior creaminess has no other comparison in any fruit or vegetable I can think of.

I ate these out of hand. I am sure it would make an incredible pudding or maybe even panna coatta.

huh...I've never heard of this fruit. This paragraph explains why they aren't more visible in stores:

(full article linked below)

"According to the farmer, there’s a simple reason why the pawpaw isn’t as ubiquitous as the apple, one that has nothing to do with its folksy name. “It just doesn't travel well, so it doesn't fit well into our conventional, large-scale agricultural system that ships food across the country, and across the globe,” she says. Like heirloom tomatoes, the fragile fruit is picked when it’s soft and ripe, so will typically only be found in farmers’ markets."

Yes, that would fit them to a T. But is also true of figs. They have a sort of toughish skin. Then the interior has these large black seeds surrounded by something akin to the texture and color of excellent panna cotta. If you have a chance to find one (maybe at a local farmer's market--they are in season) do try it.

An interesting factoid about watermelons is the same as that in the article--they used to not be able to be shipped because of their soft rind. The ones we have now were bred to be able to be shipped. There is an heirloom watermelon called the Bradford that is grown near us in SC and our chefs got some several years ago to serve. They were interesting and okay. Unlike heirloom tomatoes, not as flavorful (to me) as "sto'e bought". LOL

They are related to cherimoyas, which have a similar description but not as smooth a skin. My husband's favorite fruit, but we can't grow them here, though we have tried.

Yeah, I was going to say that sounds like Cherimoyas. I’ve seen them at the odd market every once in a while, but they’re about $10 each here. The best I’ve had was when I was visiting Southern California. They can grow the trees down there. The trees aren’t that productive, also making them not useful moneymakers for production.

I was going to comment something similar although I don't have much experience. We went to Ecuador on a mission trip and had fruits I had never seen or heard of but with amazing flavors.

Back