Beurre Monté: when melted butter gets blinged out

marilynfl

Apparently adding water to butter makes a huge difference...to the point where the French have given it its own name: "mount with butter"
(I kinda wish I hadn't looked up that literal translation because now I'm having a queasy memory of Marlon Brando in Last Tango in Paris.)

But I digress...

You simply whisk butter in simmering water to emulsify it. Then you add whatever seasonings you like.

The ratio is 3 TBL simmering water to 8 TBL cold butter, vigorously whisked in 1 tablespoon at a time. You can scale it up to however much you need. You can also keep it warm covered with a lid at sub-simmer temperatures (between 135 and 160 degrees).

I thought this image and description were particularly striking:
Screenshot 2024-02-15 at 5.55.48 PM.jpg
This will be the recipe by which I test this method:
3 TBL water
8 TBL unsalted butter, cut into 8 pieces and chilled
1 TBL gochujang
2 tsp lime juice
1/4 tsp sugar

They serve it over pork tenderloins.

Personally, I found this explanation from French Laundry (Thomas Keller) to be absolutely useless. But that's just me.

Last edited:
I just read the article today. I'm hoping to make it this week. How did I not know this? I'm making the same sauce with the gochujang!

Apparently adding water to butter makes a huge difference...to the point where the French have given it its own name: "mount with butter"
(I kinda wish I hadn't looked up that literal translation because now I'm having a queasy memory of Marlon Brando in Last Tango in Paris.)

But I digress...

You simply whisk butter in simmering water to emulsify it. Then you add whatever seasonings you like.

The ratio is 3 TBL simmering water to 8 TBL cold butter, vigorously whisked in 1 tablespoon at a time. You can scale it up to however much you need. You can also keep it warm covered with a lid at sub-simmer temperatures (between 135 and 160 degrees).

I thought this image and description were particularly striking:
View attachment 2655
This will be the recipe by which I test this method:
3 TBL water
8 TBL unsalted butter, cut into 8 pieces and chilled
1 TBL gochujang
2 tsp lime juice
1/4 tsp sugar

They serve it over pork tenderloins.

Personally, I found this explanation from French Laundry (Thomas Keller) to be absolutely useless. But that's just me.
Wellllllll. how did it turn out????

Ah…rather bland. I went with the gochujang option and tried it with steak and on potatoes. It was very flat…using unsalted butter with no salt added was surprisingly blah. I assumed the richness would make the flavor stand out.
I was wrong.

Fortunately, I only tested half the recipe so wasted 4 TBL of butter instead of 8.

If anyone figures out a good seasoning for this method, I would appreciate it.

Back