BLACK AND WHITE BANANA LOAF

meryl

My note: This was edited from desertculinary.com, which they adapted from Dorie Greenspan. The original recipe uses 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour, and no whole wheat pastry flour. My notes are in parentheses and are directly from the book.

BLACK AND WHITE BANANA LOAF

1 cup all-purpose flour (original recipe uses 1 1/3 cups)

1/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour (original recipe does not use this)

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg

1 1/2 ripe bananas, mashed

1 1/4 teaspoons lemon zest (original recipe uses grated zest of 1/2 lemon)

1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice (original recipe uses a "squirt")

1 tablespoon dark rum

3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped

10 tablespoons (1 stick plus 2 Tbsp) unsalted butter, room temperature

2/3 cup packed brown sugar (original recipe uses light brown)

1/3 cup granulated sugar

4 large eggs

1 teaspoon vanilla

1/2 cup milk

Preheat oven to 325 F. (Butter and flour an 8 1/2" X 4 1/2" loaf pan). My note: Barbara in VA made this bread, and recommends using a 9x5 pan, so all the batter fits.

In a medium bowl, whisk together flours, baking powder, salt and nutmeg.

In a small bowl, mixed together mashed bananas, lemon zest, juice and rum.

In a medium heat-safe bowl, add 2 tablespoons butter and chocolate - heat on medium power in the microwave, stirring every 20 seconds or so, until smooth.

In a large mixing bowl, beat together the remaining 8 tablespoons of butter until creamy. Add both sugars and cream together until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating until well combined. Mix in the vanilla. It is ok if the mixture looks curdled.

Add half of the flour mixture and mix just until the flour is absorbed. Pour in the milk and mix until blended. Be sure to scrape down the bowl at least once. Add the rest of the flour mixture and mix just until combined. Fold in the mashed banana mixture.

Add just under half of the banana batter into the melted chocolate mixture - stir until blended. Drop alternating spoonfuls of the two batters into loaf pan. Use a knife to swirl the two batters together. (don't overswirl).

Set the loaf pan on a thick baking sheet (or two regular baking sheets, stacked on top of each other), and place in the oven. Bake until very golden and a skewer placed in the center of the loaf comes out mostly clean, about 80 to 90 minutes. *(My note: Bake less time if using 9x5 pan, about 60 minutes). Be sure and check to see if the top is browning too quickly - if it is, tent the top with foil and continue baking. Remove and place pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes - remove the loaf from the pan and continue to let cool.

Adapted by desert culinary from Baking from My Home To Yours

Edited by Meryl from "Baking from My Home To Yours" and from

http://desertculinary.blogspot.com/2005/05/black-and-white-banana-loaf.html

http://desertculinary.blogspot.com/2005/05/black-and-white-banana-loaf.html

Back