1/4 teaspoon salt

1 cup unsalted butter at room temperature, plus extra for preparing pan

1 1/2 cup granulated sugar

3 large eggs

1 large egg yolk

1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1 cup sour cream

Zest of 1 orange

1 1/2 cup blueberries (or more, up to 3 cups)

Powdered sugar

To make topping: In the bowl of a food processor, pulse brown sugar, pecans, cinnamon and cake flour until combined. Add butter in small pieces and pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal. Divide in half and reserve.

To make cake: Preheat oven to 350º F. Butter and flour a 10 inch springform pan (or a 12-cup Bundt pan).

In a large bowl sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.

In a large bowl using an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, mixing well with each addition. Add yolk and mix well. Add vanilla, sour cream and zest, and mix until well-incorporated. Slowly add flour mixture, mixing well.

Divide batter in half. Spread half into prepared pan and top with 3/4 cup blueberries and half the topping mixture. Spread remaining batter into pan and top with the remaining blueberries and topping mixture. Bake for 60 to 70 minutes (more like 75-80 minutes, or 90 minutes if blueberries are frozen?), until a toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean (toothpick test doesn’t work – comes out clean even if it’s not done).

Let cool in pan on a rack for 5 to 10 minutes before unmolding. Dust with powdered sugar and serve warm.

Makes 8 servings (8 very generous portions! Can you imagine a 10” x 3” cake, cut into 8 pieces? Those are huge, Starbucks-sized pieces!)

Notes:

1) Don't be tempted to use a bundt pan for this, unless you have a 12-cupper. I have a 10-cup bundt pan. Can you guess what comes next?

2) You CAN pour the partially baked batter from a 10-cup bundt pan to a 10" springform pan before it overflows, and causes a huge mess in your oven, but your layers of cake-streusel-cake-streusel will not be as distinct.

3) When using frozen blueberries, be sure to add at least 10 minutes to the baking time, if not more. If not, your cake may APPEAR to test clean with a toohpick, but it won't be. Trust me.

4) If you fail to heed previous warning, and take it out of the oven too early, the middle will fall as it cools, and you will have uncooked batter in the middle. Of course, you can always remedy this by using a appropriate-sized biscuit cutter to cut out the middle of the springform cake, and make it appear as though you baked it in a tube pan. Then stick it back in the oven, and hope that you don't overbake it.

Old Comments from Gail’s:

Sandi in Hawaii: Posted: Jun 18, 2002 3:29 AM

Here's my new favorite cake - REC: Blueberry Pecan Sour Cream Coffee Cake

The only tweaks I did was to use IMO, an imitation sour cream (can't use the real stuff), skipped the pecans (hubby hates nuts), skipped the orange zest (hubby wouldn't like that either), used a full bag (16oz?) of frozen blueberries (hubby really likes that!) I think I'll also double the topping next time.

Oh yeah, and I had to cook it longer than the 60-70 minutes (more like 75-80 minutes). Not sure why I had to cook it longer - my springform pan was 10 1/2", not the 10" one called for. I had actually taken the cake out at 70 minutes (toothpick came out clean) and let it sit.

When I unmolded the cake at least an hour later, I flipped it over onto a cookie sheet, and noticed that the center of the bottom of the cake looked a little greasy and uncooked, so I reheated the oven and threw it back in - upside down. Came out perfect!

Unlike the time I tried a Martha Stewart blueberry cake in the same pan. I tested it with the toothpick -it seemed fine, so I just took the cake with me to a party, on the springform pan. Imagine my horror when we discovered the cake was totally raw in the middle while trying to cut it! I mean really raw, white batter in the middle. My fault - it called for about 5 or 6 cups of blueberries, and I used them straight from the freezer. Given the quantity of blueberries in that recipe, the batter must have been way too cold to cook properly! Good thing we were with good friends - we just laughed about it, grabbed our forks, and ate the edges!

cherie in so cal: Posted: Jun 18, 2002 2:46 PM

sandi--do you think this would work in a bundt pan? have a gorgeous new one i'm dying to try! (nt)

Sandi in Hawaii: Posted: Jun 19, 2002 2:41 AM

After I made the cake, I checked my handy dandy reference guide, Joy of Cooking to see what other pan I could use>>

According to Joy, the capacity of a 10" x 2" springform is 11 cups (the 10" x 2 1/2 or 3" is 14-16 cups.)

My pan is 10 1/2" x 3", so I would guess the capacity closer to the 14 than the 11 cups.

The capacity of a 9" x 13" is 16 cups.

The Bundts vary widely: 6 1/4 x 3 1/4 5 cups 8 1/4 x 3 1/4 6-7 cups 8 x 4 8-10 cups 10 x 3 3/4 12-14 cups I think if you have the big bundt, it would work quite well.

I buttered and floured my springform pan, and the cake came away from the sides easily, so unmolding from a Bundt should be okay. Hope this helps!

hAndyman: Posted: Aug 12, 2002 10:58 AM

A delicious Blueberry Coffeecake posted by Sandi in Hawaii

Thanks to Sandi for posting the recipe "Blueberry Pecan Sour Cream Coffee Cake" found at http://www.startribune.com/stories/436/284698 0.html (COMN for original recipe; see Sandi's post at #45246 in archives). I made it pretty much as written, but added more blueberries, and will up it to ~3 cups next time. It's what a blueberry coffeecake should be - delicious. Thanks for posting, Sandi. Cheers! Andy

http://www.startribune.com/stories/436/2846980.html

Caryn/Indiana: Posted: Sep 4, 2002 10:17 AM

ISO Sandi in Hawaii--I made yr Blueberry Pecan Sr Cream Coffee Cake last nite at #45246 & it was superb! The only thing I changed in the recipe was to use 2 cups total of fresh blueberries, and Sandi, you are right--it took mine about 80 minutes in the oven to reach doneness using the 10-inch springform pan called for with all ingredients at room temp B4 mixing. But boy, was it ever worth the wait! Thanks so much for posting this one . . . Caryn

Back