Boy, I hate when I find out something AFTER the fact. As in tahini.

marilynfl

I typically buy Krinos tahini, but hate having to stir the oil back down into the stiff solids. A jar was in my refrigerator, but when I decided to make hummus last week using Rancho Gordo dried chickpeas, I found its expiry date...had expired. Possibly two or three reincarnations ago. It's sole purpose in life was--for me, at least--to make hummus and I've been buying hummus since acknowledging I'm just plain lazy.

Anyway, I picked up a different brand at Publix made in Israel. The hummus in Israel is phenomenal and so I bought Yehuda Tahina.

After deskinning a bazillion cooked chickpeas (a meditative sort of pastime), I cracked open the Yehuda and found it perfectly smooth and creamy. Wow! I tossed everything in the Vitamix and let it rip. Oh, I was using Mark Bittman's NYTimes recipe.

The result was thin and insipid.

I added more chickpeas and cranked it up again.

Still insipid.

I added more chickpeas. And then I had to add even more chickpeas. I had cooked a 1 lb bag of chickpeas, but Bittman's recipe only called for 2 Cups, so I had lots of cooked chickpeas here. I also started adding Diamond Kosher salt because all the stupid recipe said was to "add salt & pepper" and the taste profile was definitely flat.

That's I looked up Yehuda online and found this:
Note this line:
"Ingredients: water, tahini, chickpeas, vegetable oil, corn starch, salt, garlic powder, and spices. It's a much milder tahini, because it's watered down into a thin sauce instead of a paste."

Oh.

Oh bugger.

After the fourth addition, I finally reached a flavor, texture and density that I liked and called it quits. I ended up with 25 oz of hummus and a kitchen that looked like a bomb went off. My regular store-bought hummus (Cedars or Sabra) is 10 oz and I always buy it BOGO. So let's just say I'm going back to being lazy.

Last edited:
I am sure this won't satisfy one who actually does the skinning of the garbanzos but I have made (fake?) hummus using sesame oil as a sub--'cause I will just never have a use for the amount of tahini before it goes rancid.
I found this for a more complete sub also.

I typically buy Krinos tahini, but hate having to stir the oil back down into the stiff solids. A jar was in my refrigerator, but when I decided to make hummus last week using Rancho Gordo dried chickpeas, I found its expiry date...had expired. Possibly two or three reincarnations ago. It's sole purpose in life was--for me, at least--to make hummus and I've been buying hummus since acknowledging I'm just plain lazy.

Anyway, I picked up a different brand at Publix made in Israel. The hummus in Israel is phenomenal and so I bought Yehuda Tahina.

After deskinning a bazillion cooked chickpeas (a meditative sort of pastime), I cracked open the Yehuda and found it perfectly smooth and creamy. Wow! I tossed everything in the Vitamix and let it rip. Oh, I was using Mark Bittman's NYTimes recipe.

The result was thin and insipid.

I added more chickpeas and cranked it up again.

Still insipid.

I added more chickpeas. And then I had to add even more chickpeas. I had cooked a 1 lb bag of chickpeas, but Bittman's recipe only called for 2 Cups, so I had lots of cooked chickpeas here. I also started adding Diamond Kosher salt because all the stupid recipe said was to "add salt & pepper" and the taste profile was definitely flat.

That's I looked up Yehuda online and found this:
Note this line:

Oh.

Oh bugger.

After the fourth addition, I finally reached a flavor, texture and density that I liked and called it quits. I ended up with 25 oz of hummus and a kitchen that looked like a bomb went off. My regular store-bought hummus (Cedars or Sabra) is 10 oz and I always buy it BOGO. So let's just say I'm going back to being lazy.
I used to hate stirring that paste! Now I use one dough hook on my hand mixer, turn on and insert in the jar--voila! Does a great job in smoothing. :)

I used to hate stirring that paste! Now I use one dough hook on my hand mixer, turn on and insert in the jar--voila! Does a great job in smoothing. :)
I had no clue such a thing existed. My dough hook for the KA is huge and I just sat here after reading your comment and thought "HOW does THAT fit in a jar??"

And do you know what else I was thinking? Well...I was thinking this: from Thanksgiving Tips from the Dark Side

"With the brownie crust and bittersweet filling already prepared for the Insulin Tart, the only thing left to finish was the hazelnut ganache. Ever on the lookout for quicker and easier, I noticed an unopened jar of Nutella in the pantry. Perfect! Why dirty a pan melting cream and gianduja when I could just open a jar? Unfortunately, after the first schmear, it was obvious the spread was too thick and needed to be thinned.

A second brain-storm hit when I realize—by pouring heavy cream directly into the jar and using a stick blender with the whip attachment—I could have pour-able bliss in mere seconds. I was mentally congratulating myself on this time-saving trick when suddenly the jar spun erratically out of my left hand and began whirling around the kitchen in a clockwise rotation as I--in a shocked state--continued to clutch the ON button of the stick blender with my right hand, whisk still jammed inside the jar!!

Here’s what you need to picture: dripping chocolate on the walls, cabinets, my clothing (ruined), the kitchen floor, the living room carpet (beige), the refrigerator across the room, my watch, and the cat (indignant)."

kick up your hummus using bitchn sauce. It is made from Almonds and other fresh ingredients. I've tried several of the variations but the Chipotle is my favorite so far:

Back