ISO: Braciole recipe?

In Search Of:

dawn_mo

I have 2 flank steaks. I want to make one and freeze one. Would you recommend cooking and freezing or freezing raw.
Thanks!

I have been making this since it was first issued in '02. I like it warm or cold but use only stuffed manzanilla olives. It is my favourite so far, for flank steak. I remember taking it to a picnic on the grass, where it worked well

Herb-Crusted Flank Steak with Cherry Tomatoes and Olives

And since Epi is so uncooperative now, I printed it:

HERB-CRUSTED FLANK STEAK WITH CHERRY TOMATOES AND OLIVES

STEAK

2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
1tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
2 1 1/2-pound flank steaks
1 tablespoon olive oil

TOMATOES

2 cups halved cherry tomatoes
1 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
1/4 cup coarsely chopped pitted Kalamata olives or other brine-cured black olives
1/4 cup coarsely chopped pitted brine-cured green olives
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons Sherry wine vinegar

Preparation
FOR STEAK
Step 1
Mix first 6 ingredients in small bowl. Place steaks in large glass baking dish. Brush steaks with olive oil. Rub with herb mixture. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 1 hour and up to 8 hours.

FOR TOMATOES
Step 2
Mix all ingredients in large bowl. Season tomatoes to taste with salt and pepper. DO AHEAD Can be made 2 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature.

Step 3
Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat). Grill steaks until cooked to desired doneness, about 4 minutes per side for medium. Transfer steaks to cutting board. Cover with foil. Let stand 5 minutes.

Step 4
Cut steaks across grain into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Arrange steak slices on large platter. Spoon tomatoes with juices over steaks and serve.

Last edited:
Isn't it a good idea to pound the steaks with a meat mallet before stuffing? The one or two times I have made it LONG ago I know I did that step.

Wait--braciole is a roulade of steak. When I read the recipe I thought the tomato mixture was the stuffing--it looks like a good one. This would be a deconstructed braciole I guess.

Not able to help with T&T as I've only used flank steak for fajitas. This bracciole recipe uses thinly pounded sirloin steaks, prepares the entire dish and then freezes them to do all the work ahead of time. Comments say it freezes well.

Again not T&T by me but I think Food and Wine really nails recipes. This one turned up in my mailbox today.

Back