Breaded Cheezy Zucchini Planks

marilynfl

This recipe is from youtube:

It's beautifully shot, but extremely repetitive. 10 minutes could have been reduced to three minutes if she had showed a step, then skipped showing every single piece going through every single step. (Do youtubers get more money the longer the video is? I don't understand these things)

She didn't give amounts for the herbs, so look around Minute 5 and make your own guesstimate. She also lightly pounds the slabs with a meat tenderizer (once again I'll admit my ignorance as to why she is doing this.)

She did manage to score some beautiful firm zucchini. Shows 2 at the opening of the video but only uses one.

Ingredients:
1 large firm zucchini
Salt pepper
100 g (2¼ cups) breadcrumbs
60 g (½ cup) flour
100g Cheddar cheese
3-4 eggs
Salt pepper
sweet paprika
marjoram
sunflower oil

Sauce:
2 tablespoons 30% sour cream
2 tablespoons Greek yogurt
1 garlic clove, minced
Salt pepper
fresh chives

Trim ends off, cut unpeeled zucchini in half crosswise, then into 1/4" slabs lengthwise (you'll get 8-10) . Lightly whack with a meat tenderize, then salt & pepper both sides.
Mix bread crumbs and flour and coat each plank.
Grate cheddar and beat in 3 eggs. Add spices.

Mix up sauce. Set aside.

Heat 1-2 TBL sunflower oil in frying pan, dip each plank in egg mixture and pan fry until golden. Flip and continue cooking until second side is also golden. Repeat with all planks, adding slightly more oil as needed.

Serve with sauce.

Last edited:
Does look a bit different. I thought she was going to show us her trip to the garbage and how to oh so slowly dump the zucchini waste. She is SOOOOO slow. Reminds me of one from Marcella that I will repost.

And the next one is interesting on rooting and growing garlic, if you can stand looking at the same thing being done 200 times, exactly the same.

This recipe is from youtube:

It's beautifully shot, but extremely repetitive. 10 minutes could have been reduced to three minutes if she had showed a step, then skipped showing every single piece going through every single step. (Do youtubers get more money the longer the video is? I don't understand these things)

She didn't give amounts for the herbs, so look around Minute 5 and make your own guesstimate. She also lightly pounds the slabs with a meat tenderizer (once again I'll admit my ignorance as to why she is doing this.)

She did manage to score some beautiful firm zucchini. Shows 2 at the opening of the video but only uses one.

Ingredients:
1 large firm zucchini
Salt pepper
100 g (2¼ cups) breadcrumbs
60 g (½ cup) flour
100g Cheddar cheese
3-4 eggs
Salt pepper
sweet paprika
marjoram
sunflower oil

Sauce:
2 tablespoons 30% sour cream
2 tablespoons Greek yogurt
1 garlic clove, minced
Salt pepper
fresh chives

Trim ends off, cut unpeeled zucchini in half crosswise, then into 1/4" slabs lengthwise (you'll get 8-10) . Lightly whack with a meat tenderize, then salt & pepper both sides.
Mix bread crumbs and flour and coat each plank.
Grate cheddar and beat in 3 eggs. Add spices.

Mix up sauce. Set aside.

Heat 1-2 TBL sunflower oil in frying pan, dip each plank in egg mixture and pan fry until golden. Flip and continue cooking until second side is also golden. Repeat with all planks, adding slightly more oil as needed.

Serve with sauce.
I agree with the repetitive sentiments but I love the video. I think despite the music which is a little gratuitous or just turn the volume down a bit, it is really the sound that makes it so compelling. Sizzling oil, knife hitting and scoring the cutting board... There is a cathartic quality to it sort of like when I got strangely drawn in to a guy using a power washer on Youtube. It is silly premise but I got sucked into it watching a pressure washer transform an overgrown lawn/sidewalk/driveway. ...cathartic ;)

Does look a bit different. I thought she was going to show us her trip to the garbage and how to oh so slowly dump the zucchini waste. She is SOOOOO slow. Reminds me of one from Marcella that I will repost.
Zucchini Fritte 4-6 persons Marcella Hazan

1 pound zucchini (I find the older ones to be better)
salt
Vegetable oil, enough for 1/4" in pan
1 c. ap flour
2-3 T. good wine vinegar (I prefer French red)
2 cloves garlic, lightly crushed and peeled
Freshly ground pepper, about 4 twists

1. Scrub zucchini. Cut into sticks about 1/4 “ thick. Sprinkle with salt and set aside for 30 minutes.

2. Drain them and pat dry.

3. Heat oil in skillet over high heat. Lightly dip zucchini in flour and slip into the skillet. Do not crowd. Turn as they brown.

4. When deep golden brown, transfer to a deep dish, using a slotted spoon. While still hot, sprinkle with vinegar. They will sizzle.

5. When all are done, bury the garlic in their midst and season with pepper.

6. Remove garlic after about 5 minutes. Serve at room temp.

After the first batch, you will know how much garlic and vinegar to use.

We were never able to get this to the table.

Back