Cauliflower Shawarma With Spicy Tahini from NYTimes

marilynfl

Boy oh boy, did I (and my guests) enjoy this.

• First, I DID NOT make the spicy tahini spread. Instead, I used Sabra Roasted Pepper hummus and squeezed a bit of fresh lemon juice on it.
  • Second, I served on warm Toufayan Naan bread, but it was just too thick with regard to the other components. Tasty, but too thick. Need to change that next time (because there will definitely be a next time).

1717253293313.png

• Third, I added (per most of the comments) a small rinsed jar of chickpeas to the cauliflower mixture. Definitely do this. Maybe even use a larger can if you like crunchy (note: roasted chickpeas DO NOT stay crispy so don't go overboard)
  • Fourth, I used her recipe spice blend but with a milder chili (Anaheim) and then added a tsp of "shawarma spice blend" that I already had.

I would have taken a photo, but there was none left.
Let me know if recipe/video link above are not viewable and I'll post those separately.

Boy oh boy, did I (and my guests) enjoy this.

• First, I DID NOT make the spicy tahini spread. Instead, I used Sabra Roasted Pepper hummus and squeezed a bit of fresh lemon juice on it.
  • Second, I served on warm Toufayan Naan bread, but it was just too thick with regard to the other components. Tasty, but too thick. Need to change that next time (because there will definitely be a next time).

View attachment 2772

• Third, I added (per most of the comments) a small rinsed jar of chickpeas to the cauliflower mixture. Definitely do this. Maybe even use a larger can if you like crunchy (note: roasted chickpeas DO NOT stay crispy so don't go overboard)
  • Fourth, I used her recipe spice blend but with a milder chili (Anaheim) and then added a tsp of "shawarma spice blend" that I already had.

I would have taken a photo, but there was none left.
Let me know if recipe/video link above are not viewable and I'll post those separately.

This sounds really good, but I’m very hesitant with anything that says it’s spicy. I cannot tolerate anything more than a “mild” level of jarred salsa. Which, means I’m much less tolerant than the average person when it comes to spice heat. Any idea on adjusting, or is it one of those times when if you leave it out, it’s just not going to be good?

This sounds really good, but I’m very hesitant with anything that says it’s spicy. I cannot tolerate anything more than a “mild” level of jarred salsa. Which, means I’m much less tolerant than the average person when it comes to spice heat. Any idea on adjusting, or is it one of those times when if you leave it out, it’s just not going to be good?
Harissa pastes are variable and can be very spicy. The recipe suggested Aleppo pepper as alternative. That is less spicy and has a nice floral quality to it. Try a pinch and adjust as tolerated.
This recipe is certainly going on my to-try list!

Maria, you can absolutely leave out the spicy factors (chili in cauliflower marinade and harissa in spread). As I mentioned, I didn't even bother making her spread: hummus is tahini and chickpeas and that's good enough for me. The meat shawarma I had in Israel was not overtly spicy, so I wasn't concerned about toning this recipe down for my guests.

Also, you might try Anaheim ground chili. It's also called California chili and I have to mail order it because apparently no one in North Carolina knows what it is. Michael Chiarello got me started on that. Here is how it rates with other chilies on the Scoville scale for hotness

Bell pepper: 0 SHU.
Anaheim pepper: 500-1,000 SHU.
Jalapeño pepper: 2,500-8,000 SHU.
Serrano pepper: 10,000-25,000 SHU.

If you want to try a roasted cauliflower with pre-mixed spice blend, try this brand. I have literally lost count of how many heads of cauliflower I've eaten after roasting it with this blend. There are various options for veggies. All you do is add melted butter, olive oil OR a mixture of both and a TBL of the mix. Spread and roast. I always roast a bit longer than they say. I buy the box at Walmart in the dry gravy package section.

1717333885922.png

Last edited:
Harissa pastes are variable and can be very spicy. The recipe suggested Aleppo pepper as alternative. That is less spicy and has a nice floral quality to it. Try a pinch and adjust as tolerated.
This recipe is certainly going on my to-try list!
judy, my favorite harissa is La Marocaine. It is salty and mildly spicy: enough to know it's there, but not enough that the roof of my mouth is calling 911.

1717334686836.png

Back