Chicken Country Captain

tomnibus

This is my ALL TIME FAVORITE recipe. I love it love it.

Things we change...

1. We normally double the sauce.

2. We normally use red-curry pepper instead of just curry pepper. (red curry is just the addition of cayenne pepper.)

Chicken Country Captain from the "Better homes and Gardens" cookbook.

2 - 2 1/2 lbs meaty chicken pieces (breasts, thighs, drumsticks)

1 14 1/2-oz can chunky-style stewed tomatoes.

1/4 cup snipped fresh parsley (we just use the dry stuff)

1/4 cup currants or raisins

1 tablespoon curry powder (or red-curry powder)

1/2 teaspoon instant chicken bouillon granules

1/2 teaspoon ground mace or nutmeg

1/4 teaspoon sugar

1 tablespoon cornstarch

1 tablespoon cold water

Optional hot cooked rice

Optional slivered almonds, toasted (we never put these in)

1. Skin chicken. Rinse chicken, pat dry. In a large skillet stir together undrained tomatoes, parsley, currants or raisins, curry powder,bouillon granules, mace or nutmeg, and sugar. Place chicken pieces in skillet. Spoon tomato mixture over chicken. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 35 to 45 minutes or till chicken is tender and no longer pink. Use a slotted spoon, remove chicken from the skillet; keep warm.

2. For sauce, skim fat from tomato mixture (this is almost impossible normally I skip this step) in skillet. In a small mixing bowl stir together cornstarch and cold water; add to skillet. Cook and stir until mixture is thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for two minutes more. If desired, serve chicken and sauce with hot cooked rice and sprinkle with almonds.

>From the book: This anglo-indian dish gets it's name from the nickname of the British army captain who brought the recipe home from India.The officer blended the two cuisines--combining the curry from India and chicken and tomatoes from England.

Exactly what I've been craving. Yay. I'll make it tomorrow ...

for dinner and let you know how it turns out.
Thanks!
Muse

What is it about the colder weather that makes me want curry...

...even more than usual?

The other three precious souls who share our home aren't nearly as enthusiastic about it as I am, but, hey, Dad has to have it. Lovely wife can enjoy curry dishes, but it's not her favorite.

Thanks, Tomnibus, and, as Joe said, WELCOME! Share, share, and keep sharing --as you are moved.

Michael

Yum! I made this with a few changes..

I left out raisins and parsley and added in some red wine. Upped the garlic. Really Good!

Muse

Back