3/4 cup finely chopped onion

2-1/2 tsp chopped garlic

1-3/4 tsp finely chopped fresh ginger

1 tsp ground cumin

1/2 tsp turmeric

1 tsp ground coriander

1 tsp cayenne

1/2 lb. chopped fresh tomatoes

1 tbsp fresh, finely chopped green coriander (cilantro)

6 tbsp plain yogurt

2-1/2 tsp salt

1/2 cup water

2-1/2 tsp lemon juice

1 tsp garam masala*

*Garam masala is made by finely grinding together (I use a coffee grinder for this):

1 inch stick cinnamon

6 green cardamoms (pods)

6 cloves

1/2 tsp cumin seeds

3/4 tsp coriander seeds

1/2 tsp black peppercorns

In a large heavy frying pan, heat oil until it is very hot. Add chicken, and fry for 2 or 3 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate. Add onions, garlic and ginger to the oil remaining in the frying pan, and fry for about 7 or 8 minutes, stirring constantly, until the onions are soft and golden brown.

Reduce the heat to low. Add cumin, turmeric, ground coriander, cayenne and 1 tbsp water. Fry for 1 minute or so, stirring constantly; then add tomatoes, fresh coriander, yogurt and salt. Cook until the oil separates from the mixture. Add the chicken. Pour in the rest of the water. Bring to a boil, turning chicken in the sauce. Reduce heat and simmer until chicken is tender. Pour lemon juice over the dish, and sprinkle with garam masala. (Pat's note: I often just stir the lemon juice and garam marsala into the dish.) Serve hot.

Serves 4 to 6

Pat's notes: I like to serve this with basmati rice with some frozen peas tossed into the rice about 5-8 minutes before rice is finished cooking, and pooris. Naan bread would also be a good accompaniment.

In the 70s and 80s I frequently had lunch at this great little Indian restaurant called Anjuli's, near my office in San Francisco. When the restaurant closed I was sad because their chicken curry was my favorite dish. I searched for a long time for a recipe like theirs and was very happy when I came upon this one which I think is very close. I can’t remember where this recipe originated but I've been making it for many years and each time it transports me back to the happy dining experiences with friends and coworkers at Anjuli's.

Back