Christmas cookies - how do you store your cookies until Christmas

Depending on the type of cookie, I usually put them in ziplock bags, suck all the air out of them with a straw, and store in the freezer (we have lots of freezer space)

I store them in ziplock bags in a big Rubbermaid tub. I don't make them so far in advance that they need to be frozen, but I keep them in a cool spot in the house.

I don't do Christmas cookies, but for the Pittsburgh cookie table (I made ~850 cookies), I prepared biscotti logs months in advance. Froze the logs then thawed and baked them 2 weeks before the wedding. Then re-froze the baked logs to take to Pittsburgh. Then I thawed/sliced/baked the week of the wedding.

Same thing with rugelach. Made logs 2 months in advance, didn't slice/bake the raw dough until the week of the wedding.

Same thing with chocolate chip cookies. Made the dough 2 months in advance--let the dough chill in the refrigerator for 2 days and then scooped and froze individual cookies. Baked those 3 days before wedding.

In fact, I have another family wedding in May with another cookie table and tonight I'm testing Rose Levy Beranbaum's Lime-Ginger Cookies.

So basically, I'm storing prepared dough ahead of time, rather than the finished cookie.

I too don’t make them too far in advance. I store them in tight holiday tins. One year I made all my doughs ahead of time, by about a month or so and froze them. I though I was so organized, but several of them did not come out as well. Snickerdoodles for example were flat and just not nearly as good. Not freezer burn or anything awful tasting, just noticeably not as good. The chocolate chip was the only dough that had no issue at all in the freezer. I no longer freeze any dough.

i do a line setup for dough day and make several, then they go in fridge till bake day a day or two later. I believe it was mimi that gave a dough day run down and that’s what I do now.

I stir up dough and bake cookies about a month to 6 weeks before Christmas. Once cooled I pack them into Tupperware and store containers in my big rectangular NON-frost free freezer. They keep beautifully--nobody can tell they weren't made the day of serving! I make sure to keep anything with peanut butter separately packaged or anything with ginger separately packaged as I've found that peanut butter or other highly spiced cookies (like lebkuchen) impart/convey their flavors into my other cookies.

I don't do Christmas cookies, but for the Pittsburgh cookie table (I made ~850 cookies), I prepared biscotti logs months in advance. Froze the logs then thawed and baked them 2 weeks before the wedding. Then re-froze the baked logs to take to Pittsburgh. Then I thawed/sliced/baked the week of the wedding.

Same thing with rugelach. Made logs 2 months in advance, didn't slice/bake the raw dough until the week of the wedding.

Same thing with chocolate chip cookies. Made the dough 2 months in advance--let the dough chill in the refrigerator for 2 days and then scooped and froze individual cookies. Baked those 3 days before wedding.

In fact, I have another family wedding in May with another cookie table and tonight I'm testing Rose Levy Beranbaum's Lime-Ginger Cookies.

So basically, I'm storing prepared dough ahead of time, rather than the finished cookie.
Fainting at the thought of 850 cookies...... You are a goddess!

I stir up dough and bake cookies about a month to 6 weeks before Christmas. Once cooled I pack them into Tupperware and store containers in my big rectangular NON-frost free freezer. They keep beautifully--nobody can tell they weren't made the day of serving! I make sure to keep anything with peanut butter separately packaged or anything with ginger separately packaged as I've found that peanut butter or other highly spiced cookies (like lebkuchen) impart/convey their flavors into my other cookies.
Yes, baked and frozen always come out fine. But, I have the smallest freezer known to man, so it’s not an option for me when it comes to big batches of Christmas cookies. Yet, another reason I should breakdown and get a freezer I suppose. 🥶

Back