Coconut Beef Curry (or pork)

pat-nocal

Coconut Beef Curry (or pork)

Brown 2 lbs. stewing beef (1/4" strips) with 1 tbsp oil in a pan.

Add and cook just until fragrant:

2 onions, sliced

2 cloves garlic, minced

2 tbsp paprika

2 tbsp cumin

1 tsp cinnamon

2 tbsp red curry paste

Put in a crockpot with:

4 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped

1 lb. bag of small baby carrots

Add:

2 tbsp tomato paste

1 14 oz. can of coconut milk

1/2 cup water

1 tsp salt

(May add salt and pepper to taste near the end of cooking)

Stir it all. Cover and cook on LOW 8 - 10 hours or HIGH 4 - 6 hours until the veggies are tender and the stew is bubbling. Sprinkle with cilantro.

I find it ready at 7 hrs on LOW, if the beef was browned first. Enjoy!

Pat’s notes: This was great!! Used a little more than 3 lbs. of Country Style Pork Ribs, cut into bite-sized pieces. Browned the pork and onions, then, like Moyn and Judy, finished the dish in the oven. Added the potatoes and carrots about 15 minutes after popping into the oven. Very yummy dish and great leftovers. A keeper.

Moyn said: I used about 3 1/2 lbs of Country Style Pork Ribs, cut into LARGE chunks, increased the garlic (doubled it), and used green curry paste, since that's all I had, and decreased it for Mr Wimpy, to less than 1 TBSP. (Must admit, I've sneaked a few spoonfuls of the sauce.... it's WONderful!)

We'll begin with a salad of leaf lettuce with cuke & avocado & scallion, and despite the potatoes (of which I only used one) in the dish, I felt I had to do a base to soak up all the wonderful sauce, so I did some quinoa with fresh spinach & nutmeg. I did it in the oven at 375 for about 45 minutes, after browning the meat & onions, etc. on top of the range. I can't wait for dinner (may add some more green curry to my portion, LOL). Thanks so much for posting.

More Moyn’s notes: This dish is a Winner!!!! It was terrific! And, since I didn't use the crockpot, the meat was tender, but not "fall apart", so Teddy didn't object, even tho he did comment when he looked at it. (Hmmm, a stew, huh?). I just cut the pieces in either half or in thirds, so I had LARGE pieces. And the quinoa was the perfect "zzzooooper upper". The recipe goes into the "keeper" file. Thanks again.

Judy/Mass said: I have this in the oven as I type using pork, red curry paste, and I added some chopped tomatoes. Got brown rice simmering on the stove, will add cilantro and spinach to that when it's close to done. I did put a bunch of grated fresh ginger into the water as I added the rice. I'm looking forward to this dinner!

More Judy’s notes: And it was terrific! I stirred baby spinach into the rice in the last few minutes, and that was great with the curry spooned along side. I'm glad I used the full amount of red curry paste, but am also glad that I don't have a Mr. Wimpy to feed. smileys/smile.gif

Back