Cooking 101: Eggs (fun video by NYTimes cooking

marilynfl

The NYTimes is starting a basic cooking class and the first one shows 8 ways to prepare eggs for breakfast. It was actually Interesting and non-intimidating. While making a very creamy scrambled egg (versus a basic scrambled egg), she used a saucepan with curved sides; I think she called it a saucier—it’s a pan I’ve never used.

Today I stopped at Goodwill to see if I can buy some cheap kitchen equipment to use at moms. And look what I found there for $4.99:

1704844970119.jpeg

In the first episode of this series:

Learn how to shop for them well: Understand labeling and get to know the parts of the egg (beyond just the white and the yolk!).

Make the fluffiest scrambles: Learn how temperature, whisking and seasoning can all create different results.

Get perfect crispy-edged fried eggs: You’ll want to go hot and fast in a cast-iron skillet — nonstick skillets don’t retain heat as well — then baste with the cooking fat.

Become an expert on over easy, over hard and sunny side up: Poking the yolks once they’re out of the skillet will help you know how cooked they are.

Boil up easy-to-peel eggs: Cold eggs go into boiling water and then an ice bath once cooked. The drastic temperature changes help the shells separate from the cooked eggs.

Poach gorgeously: A gentle bubbling of the poaching water and some early straining help create a clean shape.

Last edited:
Whoops! I just meant to reply once above. Marilyn, please use your super powers to erase the unnecessary repetition of my hitting the Reply button. TY, Wigs

Wanted to add that I've been practicing poaching eggs. Some are working out perfectly, but I'm also using the cheapest eggs I could buy. Now that I've had 3 perfect (and 3 not-so-perfect), I just spent $5 to buy a different, hopefully fresher, dozen.

I also found that vinegar really didn't make any consistent difference. But one thing that works for me is to use a custard cup and holding it over the simmering water, allow a little of that water into the cup with the egg before I hold it in the water and slowly release it into the bath. It never fails to help keep the egg together.

Good point she made about serving eggs Benedict to a swarm of people. It is always a challenge keeping up with the crowd. I have never thought of making them in advance. Although at that point, it's time to get out the electric egg poacher.

Back