Cranberry-Orange Tea Bread

andreaindc

Cranberry-Orange Tea Bread

I have made this bread using frozen cranberries which work just fine unthawed. I also admit to using nutmeg that is not freshly ground! I serve the bread plain, but you could also serve it with sweet butter or whipped cream cheese.

Makes one 8-by-4-inch loaf.

1 1/2 cups whole fresh cranberries
1 cup sugar
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon fresh-ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon salt
grated zest of 2 oranges
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
3/4 cup orange juice
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted

1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease and flour an 8-by-4-inch loaf pan or spray it with cooking spray. Combine the cranberries and sugar in the work bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade. Pulse to coarsely grind. Set aside.

2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, spices, and salt. Add the orange zest and walnuts. Toss to blend.

3. In a small bowl, combine the orange juice and eggs. Beat with a whisk until frothy. Add the vanilla extract and cranberry mixture and stir to combine. Pour over the dry ingredients and drizzle with the melted butter. Stir with a large spatula just until the batter is moistened and the cranberries are evenly distributed.

4. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Bake in the center of the oven for 45 to 50 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean. The top of the loaf should be crusty and golden. Turn the loaf out of the pan onto a rack, then turn it right side up to cool
completely. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and let stand at room temperature overnight before serving.

from Beth Henspergers's The Best Quick Breads

Last edited by a moderator:
Back