Diabetic help

marsha-tbay

My Dr brought the eyesight of a diabetic back, so I have learned a lot from him for my husband.

First the no's: until a diabetic is healed no:

rice, grains, no fruit except berries...no peas, no tomatoes, no white potatoes, no white bread, no coconut sugar, no carrots, no corn, no bananas.

Can's....sweet potatoes, sourdough bread, berries, whole wheat flour. SWERVE sweetener, stevia; unsweetened maple syrup (available from Amazon) ..KETOGENIC diet best for diabetics. Only dill pickles. NOTE; to find unsweetened maple syrup @ Amazon, first you have to search for maple syrup. For some strange reason if you search for unsweetened maple syrup it doesn't show up.(Maple Grove Farms Vermont Sugar Free Syrup )

If you want to eat fast food, avoid the bun. With a burger you can ask for extra cheese, extra bacon, if it comes with it; you can ask for guacamole, if it comes with it. Ask to serve it with a lettuce wrap; perhaps within a bag so you don't get your hands greasy.

Now, once in a while I give him Cream of Wheat and use English Toffee Stevia (available at Amazon)....It reminds one of maple syrup. I cook protein powder into the cream of wheat and add a side of bacon.

I buy Red Fife Whole Wheat Flour from BREADTOPIA. I use that in my Berry 'Cobbler'...I use unsweetened maple syrup from Amazon.

Regarding the Ketogenic diet...I add cheese to my husband's eggs, use heavy cream in his berry cobbler.

Protein...half your weight in ounces of protein. If you weight 100#, you should have 50oz of protein every day. I use my Dr's protein powder; also for anti-inflammation I use his flax/fish oil (love it) in my husband's chocolate protein shake. That's a good way to get all the protein one needs.

Use CACAO, not cocoa. CACAO has no sugar. I use this in a chocolate pudding with avocado in the food processor. If you'd like the recipe, just ask.

As I've added more fat to the diet (cheese on salads, etc) his numbers have been getting better all the time.

Amazon has sugar free chocolate chips, called PASCHA

Here is a good link of ketogenic foods....http://www.ruled.me/ketogenic-diet-food-list/....I don't agree and my dr doesn't agree with them suggesting aspartame and saccharin.

Cole Slaw: mix mayo and vinegar, clear stevia.

For acorn squash...take a knife, make cuts all around the edge, deep into the squash, spread butter and English Toffee Stevia; add pecans if you wish...delicious!

If anyone wants to have me help you make a dessert with changes, feel free to ask. Not all desserts can be changed but many can.

Back