Did someone here mention that he/she likes to add horseradish to many preparations or am I dreaming

I don't think I've mentioned it, but I love horsradish and wasabi!

I don't think I've mentioned it, but I love horsradish and wasabi! I'm always in danger of overseasoning and making things too hot and spicy.
That said I confess, I have no horseradish in my fridge. I've only lived in this apartment a few months and haven't picked up that staple yet.
It's now on the list. Thanks for reminding me.
BTW I have guest due in 16 min. what the Hel* am I doin on my computer? smileys/smile.gif
Muse

lol. welcome to my world, Muse...

wasabi turns me into the ugly American. I know that sushi should not be doused with wasabi, but I cannot help myself. I just love it.
My favorite...the jerk co-worker of my husband, on a sushi night out, with us. He had never had wasabi, I guess, and being the jerk that he is, took the whole gob of wasabi and ate it in one swallow. I thank the the gods that I was witness to this event. It was sooooooooooooo good. It does make one believe in karma.

Food therapy is what you are doing on your computer with 16 minutes left before company comes >>

for dinner.
I named it Festaphobia. I get it every time I have company coming. You have guests coming, you have everything all ready, yet you hop on the food site and get a shot of foodiness from friends for good luck. The you face your guests with a smile and utter confidence.
Hope your dinner was wonderful Muse.
marg

I luffffff horseradish and wasabi!

Trader Joe's has some wasabi oil that is wonderful! I use it a lot in stirfries and in other things too just for a little zing!!!

Ahhh, the JUSTICE! Wasabi is the stuff of practical jokes as well...

Our favorite sushi chef gave a big frozen ball of wasabi to my hubby, and said it was a green tea mochi ice cream (which it closely resembles)!

Needless to say, hubby had a LOT of beer that night!

LOVE them! A couple of years ago I was flying back from London (m)

and I had an ear drum rupture....NOT a good scene, as you can imagine. Anyway, my ear doctor was a strong believer in the use of horseradish and wasabi to help clear things out! (Along with other meds); I was making everything with eiter wasabi or horseradish for weeks!!

Some of my favorites:
- I learned to make my own vegie rolls
- Olga's Pot Roast stuffed with Horseradish
- Sushi Pizza
- Wasabi Viniagrette (I need to find this recipe)

Gotta love Horseradish and Wasabi!

Regards,
Barb

Here are my favorite horseradish add-ons...

Meatloaf comfort gravy when I don't want ketchup based. Thirty to fourty-five minutes before my meatloaf is done, I mix well a can of cream of mushroom soup(or a can of mushroom/chicken combo), 1/2 tsp of beef stock base, a blop of sour cream, and prepared horseradish. This gets poured over the meatloaf and put back in the oven to finish. With baked or mashed potatoes on a cold evening...heaven!!

I put some horseradish in my cream sauce for smoked salmon and crackers. Sometimes a bit in pot-roast gravy. It is an ingredient in my favorite chili sauce/mayo based vegetable dip. Best dip ever. There's probably more but I can't think this early.

Didn't mention it, but I love wasabi in deviled eggs/egg salad sandwiches. I usually buy>>

the tubes at the sushi bar in Publix, but just got a big Penzeys order that included their jar of powder. Believe it's a mix of wasabi and horseradish. Haven't tried it yet, perhaps I'll get some good ideas here.

I put wasabi in a lot of things- mashed potatoes, potato salad, egg salad but our favorite is

a marinade for steaks that will go on the grill made of low sodium soy sauce (Kikkoman), chopped garlic and wasabi. It mellows as the meat cooks but it gives a great "edge" to it.

Wasabi goes into almost anything with a mayo base at this house.

All this gets me thinking about getting another jar. Here's an idea on using wasabi

As a pretty touch to a contrasting soup, wasabi works well. This is from Food and Drink, the Ontario Liquor Control Board (we don't get to buy liquor at the supermarket here) and their excellent seasonal publication which, I believe, Mimi has mentioned.

Orange Squash, and Ginger Soup
Holiday 2002
By: Lucy Waverman

Printer friendly version

This is a Japanese-inspired version of squash soup. The inclusion of miso and sake give it a rich taste without using cream, and cooking it with orange juice brings out the sweetness of the squash.
The wasabi cream offsets the sweetness, but it can be omitted.

2 tbsp (25 mL) olive oil
1 1/2 cups (375 mL) onion, chopped
4 cups (1 L) peeled and diced butternut squash
2 cups (500 mL) peeled and diced potatoes
1/2 cup (125 mL) fresh orange juice
1/4 cup (50 mL) sake
2 tbsp (25 mL) light miso
5 cups (1.25 L) chicken stock
2 tbsp (25 mL) chopped pickled ginger
1/2 tsp (2 mL) grated orange rind
Salt and freshly ground pepper

Wasabi Cream

1 tsp (5 mL) wasabi powder
1 tsp (5 mL) water
2 tbsp (25 mL) whipping cream

1. Heat oil in a pot on medium-high heat. Sauté onion until softened, about 2 minutes. Add squash and potatoes and sauté 1 minute longer.
2. Whisk together orange juice, sake and miso. Add to vegetables along with stock. Bring to a boil, then turn heat down and simmer uncovered for 20 minutes, or until vegetables are soft.
3. Add pickled ginger and orange rind and puree in a food processor or blender. Return to pot, season with salt and pepper.
4. Combine wasabi powder and water and stir to dissolve. Add whipping cream and stir until combined. Drizzle surface of each bowl of soup with about 1 tsp (5 mL) wasabi cream.

Serves 4 to 6

Back